Best year of the 80?

I know this has probably been talked about over and over but i am about to get a sales job and it requires more driving and my FJ60 is my DD as of now but if i going to be driving more i need to be rolling in something a lil' nicer for clients. So of course i want to look at an 80. I see on autotrader the price is pretty much everwhere. What are some things i need to look at when getting one?

I found the informantion on FAQ page and the slee web sight very helpful. There is a section on buying 80's, check it out.

Fly Rod

fzj

I would stay away from a 91 or 92 if possible, the lack of power can get pretty anoying, and the brakes are not the best! I prefer a 93 or 94 you get the better engine and a good amount of front seat leg room! 95 thru 97 have a nicer interior but less front seat leg room, some guys on the board have modified the rails for the front seats to allow for more leg room!

Or find a '95-97 w/cloth and manual seats - plenty of leg room! You can always add nice leather to the interior for ~$1500-$2000.

...a 1994 of course.

I am not biased or anything nor am I hindered by any experience either.

Ross

RavenTai said:
IMO 96-97 and possibly 95 are more desireable, ABS, SRS, OBD-II, 134-a refrigerant, younger etc but they are more expoensive, that said right now I am looking for a 91-92 for a family member because they are considerably cheaper. there are things to be said for the 93-94 also.
I thought the switch from R12 to R134a refrigerant was sometime in '93, so all '94's have R134a. That is something to consider if you live where you'd use a/c alot, system work/recharge on a R12 system can be $$$$.

mabrodis said:
I thought the switch from R12 to R134a refrigerant was sometime in '93, so all '94's have R134a. That is something to consider if you live where you'd use a/c alot, system work/recharge on a R12 system can be $$$$.
The flip side to that is.

I have a 93 with R12 and people complain how cold the air comes out during the summer times even when it's on the loweest settings.

I crused throught Texas last summer with the air on and the rear windows cracked down.

Another one of my cars is a 99 and I assume it has R134 and well is this thing on? :mad:

for offroading -early diesel models : minimal electrical crap that say's "gooood night" in the water conditions, (ABS, SRS, OBD-II) , manual locking hub (2wd),
to the maal - as new and shiny as posible

landtank

SILVER Star

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the increase in fuel econmy with the 95+ cruisers. If you're driving it for sales that might be something to consider.

I'm happy with my 91, however there are some parts that are not available for 91's. Such as sliders and supercharger, not a real big deal but more power would be nice. I'll just weld up my own sliders.

ultimauk said:
The flip side to that is.

I have a 93 with R12 and people complain how cold the air comes out during the summer times even when it's on the loweest settings.

I crused throught Texas last summer with the air on and the rear windows cracked down.

Another one of my cars is a 99 and I assume it has R134 and well is this thing on? :mad:
slide the climate control lever a bit towards the red and away from the blue?

Top Bottom