Best year 100 to buy ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C

crazy canuck

I have read about the various changes in the years with the help of some board members as well as some digging in the archives..

Now I thought I would seek some first hand advise..is there any quirks in certain years of 100's that aren't there in others. or should I just buy the oldest, lowest mile (98) to take advantage of likely the most depreciated price? I would like lockers..and a "nice to have" would be the NAV system...

Any info would be appreciated...

27Jan2003 (UTC +8)

The NAV system first came out on 2001 models, while the rear locker option was last offered for 2000 models. There are reports, but not a widespread occurance it seems, that the front diff of the 1998's were the weakest for the UZJ-100's (it's solved with an ARB front locker of course ;) )

well, if you want a rear locker you'll have to get a 98 or 99 apparently. Never seen or heard of a newer one in the US with the locker, although that's apparently possible. Seems like all US came with Trac control after 2000.
Re: the Nav system, I was very pleasantly surprised by how useful it is. Never thought I'd say that, but I really like it. Has a few shortcomings but by and large it's great, user wise. OTOH, I am amazed at the potential liability as far as repair cost. The thing is very complex and will cost several thousand dollars to fix, apparently, if it conks out, yet you may need to do it to have full access to all the controls. So that's a big potential liability.
Besides that it boils down to how much $$ you want to spend vs how "new" it's going to be, as usual...
HTH
Eric

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=10674;start=msg95859#msg95859 date=1075185174]
well, if you want a rear locker you'll have to get a 98 or 99 apparently. Never seen or heard of a newer one in the US with the locker, although that's apparently possible. Seems like all US came with Trac control after 2000.
Re: the Nav system, I was very pleasantly surprised by how useful it is. Never thought I'd say that, but I really like it. Has a few shortcomings but by and large it's great, user wise. OTOH, I am amazed at the potential liability as far as repair cost. The thing is very complex and will cost several thousand dollars to fix, apparently, if it conks out, yet you may need to do it to have full access to all the controls. So that's a big potential liability.
Besides that it boils down to how much $$ you want to spend vs how "new" it's going to be, as usual...
HTH
Eric

[/quote]

You raise a good point with the NAV system--how much did that option cost when new ?

I'm guessing though, that being a Toyota, that it would be a pretty safe bet to run forever--but then again I do recall some issues owners had with 80's cd players..hmmmmm.

is the locker switch on the dash--do you have a pic of this?

[quote author=drexx link=board=2;threadid=10674;start=msg95845#msg95845 date=1075183056]
27Jan2003 (UTC +8)

The NAV system first came out on 2001 models, while the rear locker option was last offered for 2000 models. There are reports, but not a widespread occurance it seems, that the front diff of the 1998's were the weakest for the UZJ-100's (it's solved with an ARB front locker of course ;) )
[/quote]

Thanks Drexx--good info!--why is the locker not offererd with traction control--i mean they could make it so that traction control disables in 4Low..

I think 99 was the last year for lockers in the US, actually, not 2000. But could be wrong. Locker switch is in the usual 80 location on the dash. Traction control largely negates the need for locker it seems, so don't need both which would be way more costly too. Trac Cont probably better for slippery roads like snow etc where you can hit the ice patch occasionally.
Local Toy guy told me that to get a new Nav Sys console would be about $5,000. Not so sure about long term reliability, sadly. It's a touch screen system -well the newer ones are at least, not sure about 01 and 02. No idea how long those last. Worse, it seems they changed it about every year so little continuity there. I would be quite cautious about getting a Nav sys to keep for a long time. Then again, these things will get cheaper on the aftermarket front, of course, but remember that the TLC one is closely (but not fully) integrated with a/c and audio.

I am pretty positive that 99 was the last year of the rear diff lock in US. I am very happy with with my 99 and the rear lock has saved me quite a few times. Cannot speak for traction control. I have experienced the Rover's traction control system and it was very impressive in swamp and mud conditions. Does the 00- LC's have a similar system i.e. the ABS managed full time 4 wheel drive that brakes the wheel that is spinning?

yes, the trac control works by braking the spinning wheel, which seems odd at first but makes perfect sense with a diff. Also ties in with ABS, VSC, assisted braking etc.
Haven't pushed mine hard enough yet to figure out how well it works, but I imagine there are many situations where it should be better than lockers since it does not allow you to get stuck even on the unexpected place...
E

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=10674;start=msg95859#msg95859 date=1075185174]
HTH
Eric

[/quote]

Eric, in case you're interested, my bro-in-law in Japan added an external Sony nav system that utilizes a thin color panel (about 6" dia) and gps...there are no disc to load. It has a remote control that allows one to zoom, you can split the screen and watch a zoomed-in version in one side, zoomed-out on the other. We drove in a blinding snow storm at much higher speeds than most would drive (35mph+ in 20 ft visibility in the curves) in 4wd, center diff locked, open front/rear diffs w/ non-studded snow tires. The navigator would tell you exactly when the curve was coming, how sharp, etc. His navigator also allows one to watch tv, connect an external dvd player (like a discman type) and watch movies (uses the audio system speakers). The gps antenna is about the size of a thumbnail and sits on the dash. I think the system maybe ran about 100,000 yen ($1K). The flat screen on this one mounted externally to the stereo...it wasn't one of those ones that folds up and retracts into the dash.

Also, wasn't it both the '98-99's that had the weaker 2-pinion front diffs, and that problem was remedied in the 2000+ models w/ 4-pinion front diffs, and the 2000- models (at least the LX470) had some tranny problems (fixed in the 2001+ models)? This might be more of a factor than the rear diff lock on the 98-99's...you can always add that to a VSC-equipped rig. BTW, the rear diff lock is still listed as an option on the LC100's sold in Japan or so (you lose the rear LSD), so we know the configuration is still made. OTOH, the LC Cygnus (LX470) doesn't have the rear diff lock option. Both LC Cygnus and LC100 GX selection come w/ auto height control standard (cheaper VX doesn't have it, nor does it have a leather option, but you can get the diff lock).

CC -
Toy is almost constantly improving the Cruiser -- some minor design changes even occur in mid-year, since their manufacturing partner (Araco) has a KanBan or Just In time manufacturing cycle unit of one truck at a time.
Therefore,
just buy the latest model you can afford.

This is not rocket science. And if it were, I would just advise you to buy the latest model rocket, too :doh:

LT
8)

Do both the lx470 and landcruiser have the same trannies?--If so, was the lx tranny recalled?-(and it would follow the lc tranny would also be recalled)?

also the difference in the 2 & 4 pinion systems-has that resulted in any failures or repair costs to owners that anyone is aware of ? if so, what should i budget for ?

[quote author=LT link=board=2;threadid=10674;start=msg96014#msg96014 date=1075229391]
CC -
Toy is almost constantly improving the Cruiser -- some minor design changes even occur in mid-year, since their manufacturing partner (Araco) has a KanBan or Just In time manufacturing cycle unit of one truck at a time.
Therefore,
just buy the latest model you can afford.

This is not rocket science. And if it were, I would just advise you to buy the latest model rocket, too :doh:

LT
8)
[/quote]

You raise a good point LT, about the mid year manufacturing changes..but I have to disagree with you on buying the newest one you can afford. Case in point is that the difference between a 90 & 91 IS substantial, whereas the the difference between a 91 & 92 is not. & same goes for 93 & 94 they're almost exactly the same rig.

and I might even argue that other than airbags (annoying when wheeling) and a dash change 93-97 is basically the same rig. so in this case a 93/94 would be a better buy than a 97..(likely cheaper in most cases)

This is the sort of info I'm looking at on a 100 to decide whether or not to pay more for a given year.. Appreciate your info though

[quote author=crazy canuck link=board=2;threadid=10674;start=msg96045#msg96045 date=1075234059]
You raise a good point LT, about the mid year manufacturing changes..but I have to disagree with you on buying the newest one you can afford. Case in point is that the difference between a 90 & 91 IS substantial, whereas the the difference between a 91 & 92 is not. & same goes for 93 & 94 they're almost exactly the same rig.

and I might even argue that other than airbags (annoying when wheeling) and a dash change 93-97 is basically the same rig. so in this case a 93/94 would be a better buy than a 97..(likely cheaper in most cases)

This is the sort of info I'm looking at on a 100 to decide whether or not to pay more for a given year.. Appreciate your info though
[/quote]

Transmission changed in 95 :slap: Got to agree with LT, buy the latest one you can afford. :cheers:

[quote author=crazy canuck link=board=2;threadid=10674;start=msg96045#msg96045 date=1075234059]

[/quote]

Uh, I don't think you understood. The little improvements from year to year are about better wiring harness, more advanced metallurgy, small changes that add up. C-Dan and the Lexus mechanic, I don't recall his avatar at the moment, might give you specifics.

Unless you just have to have the rear locker, which was discontinued in the 100 series after 99 or 2000, or you've got a jones for some other feature that was discontinued (like sliding windows in the rear that's only available in the 80 series) just buy the newest you can afford.

LT
8)

Get you a 1999. Factory rear locker, can get rear ac/heat. It is only a 4 speed while a newer cruiser (03 I know for sure) has a 5 speed. Prices should be comming down on them. Plus 99s just rule :D

-Matt

newer and lower miles you can afford! They are getting better. (But more expensive to fix and more electronic gizmos to go bad.)
Unless you want to put a lot of mods and drive over big boulders in which case an 80 might be better.

Jim, that's right, amazingly, the FSM suggests that there is a rear locker and LSD options available for the 03 as well - not that I think they are available in the US - maybe special order though? About the Nav Sys, the problem is that the touch screen also controls the audio and A/C so you may still want it operational rather than just adding an aftermarket if the original conks out. Thankfully, though, there are enough buttons still outside of the touchscreen that you might get by without it for a while.

E

Hey e9999,

wondering if you got my PM..I would love to get my hands on that spreadsheet you set up to import to Canada.

My email is:

blah-blah-blah@mail.com

Thanks in advance.

I don't think E9999 set that spreadsheet up crazy. Just a hunch.

Sorry Semlin---I should have given credit where it was due...do you have a copy that you could email me?

Thanks

dang, finally I got some credit for something... for only for a few minutes?
:-\
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom