Best way to trim some plastic from the grille? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for advice on what tool would be best to trim a bunch of plastic out on the back of the grille. I have an intercooler going in and there are clearance issues at the bottom requiring me to remove plastic down there.
I’m guessing an angle grinder? I just don’t want a ton of melted plastic. And want it looking as nice as possible

I bought a practice grille to try methods on before I cut into my nice linexd one.
Any ideas welcome!

Dremmel with a cutting tool / wheel for small detail work on edges etc.. Angle grinder to make it go fast 👍

BBB950EB-FACB-4AA2-B5F2-53C447DB305F.jpeg

Milwaukie fine tool

^ a pretty good idea!!

either way post pics of that sweet intercooler tucked behind that grill when you're done with the job

I use a Fein oscillating multi tool for delicate plunge cutting, and you can slow it way down to prevent overheating the plastic. Best tool I ever bought, bar none. Unlike a Dremel, it has plenty of grunt at low speed.

I used a 4 1/2” flapper wheel on angle grinder. 80 grit.
Go slow, keep a utility knife handy to trim it. The flapper will basically melt the grill.
Its very effective, so make a plan. Look through my thread for my FMIC is 12x24x3,
pretty much the biggest that you can fit and still have a grill. The grill angles inward from
the top. I took nothing off the top, and it’s 1/2” thick at the bottom. Go slow!
Thread in my signature line
6394B754-CF71-4A07-9195-B4286B22BD22.jpeg

Did you have to get rid of lower grille mounts? Howd you secure it with those gone?

I used a 4 1/2” flapper wheel on angle grinder. 80 grit.
Go slow, keep a utility knife handy to trim it. The flapper will basically melt the grill.
Its very effective, so make a plan. Look through my thread for my FMIC is 12x24x3,
pretty much the biggest that you can fit and still have a grill. The grill angles inward from
the top. I took nothing off the top, and it’s 1/2” thick at the bottom. Go slow!
Thread in my signature line
View attachment 2535552

There are 4 plastic mounts, they are all being used. The center mounts are gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom