Best Way to Treat this Rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the gas tank tray and there is some surface rust starting. One of the PO's used silicone to mount some carpet strips. I purchased the rubber pads and I'd like to treat it before the tank goes back in cause I'd prefer not pull it back out if I can help it. I don't really care that it looks great but that it's effective. How would you spot treat these areas?

C025A20C-F705-4ED8-8B4B-096B81E9DA6F_1_201_a.jpeg

This is the gas tank tray and there is some surface rust starting. One of the PO's used silicone to mount some carpet strips. I purchased the rubber pads and I'd like to treat it before the tank goes back in cause I'd prefer not pull it back out if I can help it. I don't really care that it looks great but that it's effective. How would you spot treat these areas?

View attachment 3207226
You could always just lightly sand down the rusted areas and around where it’s bubbling, then apply some rust converter to what’s left of it (we use Osoho, but there are plenty others, I think BlackStar is a good one on the mainland), then just spray some primer and paint to keep it protected.

see all those little ‘pimples’ in the paint - that is rust spreading thru you have to get that treated with a neutralizer anywhere you see that. If you sand those pimples you will see brown metal underneath
was the vehicle repainted? It looks like they didn’t treat the old rust before respray
i would check out the POR15 line for a true fix

Yeah wire brush the bubbled paint to expose it all. Then I would recommend rust dissolving gel. If the interior is empty it'd be faster and easier (but messier) to use the gun from a blasting cabinet.

Get a new one . Start fresh.

I had similar rust in the same place, and other places. I used a wire wheel on a drill to strip out as much as possible then painted it with Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer, then a coat of Rustoleum Clean Metal Primer then top coat. The rust never came back. That was in 1984.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom