Best way to run 12v to roof? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems to be two schools of thought:

1. Wire up through windshield wiper faring and run along tiny gap in windshield trim.
2. Wire through back hatch loom and direct up to roof.

What is your preferred method and why? Seems 1 would be shorter run for battery/relay in engine compartment, but may also be more visible and require smaller wire so as to not look ghetto.

2 would be great for batteries or relays/switches in back and it seems there'd be more flexibility in wiring, but you'd have to pull trim panels and maybe part of headliner. This isn't a problem for me personally, since everything is removed anyway, hence I'm leaning towards 2, but want to get opinions while I'm planning out wiring diagrams.

Thanks!

I went up the driver side under the windshield trim. Got 2 12 gauge silicone jackets in there. Could put another two on the passenger side. Rear grommet works good too though threading that grommet is a real pain, definitely recommend some lubricant if you decide to go thru that one.

The aluminum windshield trim can be resused if you are careful with the clips on the removal, a little pick very useful to disengage the trim.

I ran mine up the passenger's side of the windshield in the little C channel. I managed 4x 12ga wires (GXL automotive) in a 3/8" wire loom, which is "mostly" recessed. I just put some RTV on the back side and it sticks right in there. You really don't see it unless you're looking for it (mostly because the snorkel distracts you). I'd bet a single pair of 12ga in 1/4" loom wouldn't even be noticeable except right at the top of the windshield (and if your truck is black then you probably won't notice at all).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom