Best way to preserve a spare fuel pressure regulator? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for the non-80 content but you are the best tech group in my life so hoping for some mod leeway. I have a fairly rare Audi and I'm told only my model came with a specific fuel pressure regulator. It's no longer available, so I bought one from a wrecked rare model like mine as insurance for the future. Obviously it's used and I want to get the gasoline out of it and it seems smart to put something in there to preserve it. Anyone have a thought as to what I might put in it to preserve it for the future? Thanks!

80 content - one of my 80s has been kicked out of the garage for this interloper. It may or may not be hidden behind the garage in violation of one or more homeowner's association rules.....

DougM

I see the 80s tech there; parking tech, camouflage tech... I have nothing on your pressure regulator. ;)

I don't know much about the internals of a FPR, but I get the impression there's a diaphragm of some flexible rubbery material in there. So, worried about traditional "preservative" substances that have oil in them as it would REALLY suck to go to the trouble of acquiring an preserving a spare only to find I had ruined the guts. I also crawled into the wreck on a rainy day to get it after driving 70 miles round trip, so this is a hope I can avoid screwing up my strategy at the last step before I put it on a shelf with the 19 boxes of Cruiser spares. Here's some more Cruiser content. Oddly my spares for the Cruiser are GROWING because I never need any of them. I'm confident this will not be the case for my Audi.....

DougM

Thanks - pretty highbrow stuff. Still wondering what's the best way to preserve this thing. I was thinking, run fresh fuel through it, blow it dry, put it in a plastic bag as a first reaction. But hoping someone on here would know more about preserving engines and antique stuff.

DougM

I found lots of sites with first hand suggestions, but nothing seemed very science-based beside the links I sent you. Yeah, that museum site was a bit out there, but it had some real concepts to guide how rubber breakdown typically happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom