1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best way to paint Slee suspension parts?

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by peepers, Mar 4, 2007.

1. peepers

peepers

i just received my Slee 4" suspension package. I ordered just about everything. The parts that came unpainted are:
    • Rear control arms
    • Both panard rods

I live in New England with lots of SALT. What is the best way to paint these parts to protect them?

2. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

Pete:

If you can, get them sandblasted. You really want to get any mill scale off the metal. Then, I would put Rustoleum primer on them, then 2-3 coats of Rustoleum satin black. They will probably get dinged up during installation anyway, so after they are installed you can easily touch them up, same thing when they get scraped up on the trail. This is what I use on all my suspension mods, bumpers, and my sliders.

Then I would make it a habit to spray the hell out of the undercarraige with some sort of lube or protector, my latest preference is Amsoil Heavy Metal Protector, I usually go thru a can or 2 every time I change the oil.

3. peepers

peepers

thanks ken. the bushings are already pressed in so i will have to be careful around there. can i sand metal with some sandpaper - which is the best to use?

sandblasting is tough to find around here. also, what about the threaded parts of the rear arms. can those be painted? i wouldnt think so...

4. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

I've got a local guy that does my blasting. I usually get them blasted and then use POR 15 and then a top coat of whatever color I want out of a spray can.

Things have held up well for me so far.

5. sleeoffroad

sleeoffroad Supporting Vendor

If you got the complete arms, then do not sand blast them. The arms are already coated with a corrosion protection coating. You can clean them with a degreaser and paint over the coating. Make sure to use anti-sieze on the joints. The joints on the complete arms are already greased.

6. KLF

KLF Frame waxer SILVER Star

There ya go, forget the sandblasting part. Never seen the parts you're talking about, so I defer to Christo.

Don't paint the threads, just anti-sieze them.

IMO (based on LOTS of experience), POR-15 isn't worth the extra expense or trouble. Rustoleum works just as well.

7. peepers

peepers

thanks! i will just prime then paint. i like to use the Eastwood Chassis black.

8. Imagery

Imagery

I have been using the Rust Bullet, black and silver metalic with great results. The black is a little to glossy so I mix up a 2K black (Valspar) with a 2:1 flattening agent for my top coat. I like to use the Rust Bullet for its incredibally hard cured surface and for its rust prohibative properties. Tha silver Automotive Rust Bullet is very nice and it has a medium coarse metallic flake which gives a very nice finished product. It can also be sprayed and you can control the surface texture quite easily. I did my Bud Built tie rod and drag bars with the silver and am pleased with the results. Also, my new Slee 4" springs appear to have a similar coating as the Rust Bullet silver automotive and I was able to use it for touch ups after shipping and installation. I mainly do that to prevent rust from forming on bare metal. I also just finished repainting my Tradesman Full length roof rack with mesh floor with the black Rust Bullet as my under coat, and two coats of the DupliColorTruck Bed Coating for texture and finished with the Valspar 2K black with flattening 2:1 and it looks fine. Now, I do not have to worry about it rusting any more.

9. MSGGrunt

MSGGrunt

I agree with Rick, sandblast, then POR 15 and a topcoat of your choice. I live in Mass. and the control arms I did this to have held up great. I did nothing to the Slee 6" springs I installed and they rusted within two years. I am not sure what Slee uses for a coating on his springs. These will eventually need to be blasted and coated as well.

10. 619TOY

619TOY

Have you considered powder coating? If you think you would have a hard time finding a sandlaster then you may have a hard time finding a powdercoater as well. I think it's well worth it though.

I don't have to worry about rust for the most part. I just wanted the undercarriage to all be black instead of four different finishes. The fact that I should never have to touch them again is just a bonus. Here's a pic of my undercarriage with a Slee 6" kit all powdercoated black:
    2-13-07074.jpg