Best way to measure for new shocks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I want to get new shocks for my 67' fj40 with a new four inch skyjacker lift. What is the best way to measure for min and max length?

Twist it up and measure. Do NOT buy the shocks that skyjacker specs for the lift, they are too short and will limit your flex, they did on mine and a buddy who both ran the skyjacker 4inch springs. I just lived with the limiting shocks but my buddy installed the rear skyjacker shocks up front and bought some longer ones for the rear. I don't remember what he used on the rear but there have to be tons of people on here running those springs who can chime in with what works.

BEST way is a berm...in an ideal situation, you want two opposite corner tires off the ground and the other two opposite corners stuffed hard into the fenders/bumpstops.

next best is an RTI ramp, but you need to both back up it and go forward.

for both of these, have your existing shocks removed.

3rd and least accurate is to measure at ride height and assume 1/3 stroke up travel and 2/3 stroke downtravel. no guarantees that'll be right on tho...my rear suspension is a 14" stroke shock with only 4" of shaft showing....

woody knows .
Brian , the 12" stroke 5125's 220/70 worked great at rubicon , you would trip at the flex with these shocks and the custom alcan's . I do not think I bounced 1 time . these shocks just plant the tires and they either grip or spin which makes for some fun climbs when all four are hung up and you can just torch the throttle trying to climb.

flex it to the limit with your floor jack and some wood blocks and measure both extended and compressed.

yeah man these guys got it right. articulate it to its maximum position and then measure eye to eye on both the compressed and extended sides. i bought monroe's and put them on my cruiser with the same lift but, they were hard to find and kind of pricyey. seem to work great so far. plus they have them at pepboys

dgangle said:
flex it to the limit with your floor jack and some wood blocks and measure both extended and compressed.

that would work for me except for one problem...on an RTI ramp I can get 60" under my rear tire with the other 3 still on the ground...pretty sure a floor jack isn't gonna do that.....

floor jack and "max" flex just isn't possible....if you've got a buddy with a shop lift, you might get it then...the KEY is to get your pressure/contact points as far out on the fulcrum (outer edge of tire) as possible so you are fully maxing the flex.

the floor jack isnt the best way i did it and got to short of shocks. i like the burm idea, a construction zone usually has one or two.

Just for kicks I tried the floor jack. The new springs are so stiff, that I could just tip it back and fourth between the wheels that were not on Jack stands. The top is off, no seats, no rollcage, no tailgate. So I was not real suprised it did not work. Maybe I will wait till I get it on the road before ordering shocks. Thanks for the replies. Albee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom