Best way to make a spare key (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey there, I did search for this but nothing concrete to my exact case that was helpful and recent.

Bought my 06 used, only the 1 key fob came with it.

Whats the best way to get a plain spare key made nowadays? The key man at Home Depot was no help.

Gracias

I went to the locksmith and got a key without the remote fob, so you have to put it in the door lock to open the car, as a back up, for $66.

Here you go, I bought two, took them to the local hardware store, big box store wont help you, small store will cut them for you, then you look up how to program them on Mud, or Google.
IMG_1094.PNG

Slightly different question, does anyone know a good source to get just the fob without buying the whole key and shell?

My cruiser came from the PO with a genuine Toyota shell and cut key, but no fob inside.

I just went to HD or Lowes with my original key an the uncut spare. They cut the key for me for free. So just take it to them.

also when you say FOB u mean the transponder right?

Hey there, I did search for this but nothing concrete to my exact case that was helpful and recent.

Bought my 06 used, only the 1 key fob came with it.

Whats the best way to get a plain spare key made nowadays? The key man at Home Depot was no help.

Gracias

Its in the FAQ

Programming a master or valet key

Slightly different question, does anyone know a good source to get just the fob without buying the whole key and shell?

My cruiser came from the PO with a genuine Toyota shell and cut key, but no fob inside.

The transmitter guts alone cost more than a complete key.

I just went to HD or Lowes with my original key an the uncut spare. They cut the key for me for free. So just take it to them.

also when you say FOB u mean the transponder right?
Yeah the one with the buttons.

Weird, I went to HD and they said no way.

Ok, I think we need to clear up a few things, the REMOTE key is just a key blade with a big plastic shell over it, the shell holds the TRANSMITTER and the battery for the transmitter.

The transmitter is NOT the same thing as the transponder.

The VALET key is gray, it allows a valet to lock/unlock the car and drive it to be parked but it does not work on the glove box, so you can lock stuff in there and the valet person can't get your stuff.

The MASTER key is the key that is synced to the truck at the factory, it does everything, you must have this key to program a spare.

The key with the remote is also the master key, the valet key is NOT a master key.

All of these keys have a transponder chip in them, that is a little magnetic computer chip, that does NOT require power. When you insert your key into the ignition the transponder "talks" to the security system and lets it know that the key is valid and it is ok to start the engine. The receiver for the transponder is in the ignition ring, that is the circle around the key slot.

In the case of a master key with keyless entry functions in the key head the master key transponder is imbedded in the transmitter module as opposed to the key shell. This is the case in the 100 Series.

In the case of a master key with keyless entry functions in the key head the master key transponder is imbedded in the transmitter module as opposed to the key shell. This is the case in the 100 Series.
You can say that again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom