Best way to feed my new to me disc brake front end? 1969 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

projectTuRD

SILVER Star
Threads
So I’m finally getting to swapping the front end in I bought a couple years ago.
My question is: the ‘new’ front end has one brake line input, a T near the vent that feeds both sides via hardlines running across the housing.
My original setup has the hard line running from a T on the frame, going in front of the radiator and feeding each side that way.
What is the best option to merge the two?
A soft line from my frame T to axle T?
Do they make plugs for the frame T or do I get a coupling of some sort to replace it?
Thank you for any input.

2180B00C-A5CC-419C-871E-609113835FE5.jpeg

58F884E3-66F0-4F6E-99E4-B5B0180BCF62.jpeg

You didn't mention anything about upgrading your single circuit brake master cylinder to a more up to date and safer dual circuit master. If it is on your list then I would route your brake lines along the newer paths. Besides, as old as your brake lines are they probably need replacing anyway.

You didn't mention anything about upgrading your single circuit brake master cylinder to a more up to date and safer dual circuit master. If it is on your list then I would route your brake lines along the newer paths. Besides, as old as your brake lines are they probably need replacing anyway.
Not too concerned with the master at the moment, I mainly want to get the axle connected.

If your not going to upgrade to dual circuit, I'd just run them the way they were with drums. The stk dual circuit frt line runs across the firewall to the passenger side, then goes down to the frame then a 90 to the frt. I personally would upgrade now while you there and do rear disc too.

Not too concerned with the master at the moment, I mainly want to get the axle connected.

what?
the master is critical component to the equation.
your original lines are smaller and trying to find a rubber line to go from the "T" to the caliper may be difficult.
not sure the old master will work with a disc/drum setup.
single circuit brakes are not the best, if there is a leak you lose all braking function versus a dual circuit system where you have 2 systems versus 1

what?
the master is critical component to the equation.
your original lines are smaller and trying to find a rubber line to go from the "T" to the caliper may be difficult.
not sure the old master will work with a disc/drum setup.
single circuit brakes are not the best, if there is a leak you lose all braking function versus a dual circuit system where you have 2 systems versus 1
I realize this. The master was replaced somewhat recently. I don’t drive it enough for it to be the main concern at the moment.
The housing lines are good, I just need to figure out how to go from frame to housing.
Once I get it back on the road I can see if I need to adapt some sort of dual master cylinder.

You need a duel res with proportioning valve to run the front disk, rear drum combo. Single circuit mc won't work, so you might as well replumb it now.

You need a duel res with proportioning valve to run the front disk, rear drum combo. Single circuit mc won't work, so you might as well replumb it now.
I swear I’ve read where people have done it. I will if I have to but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. The person I got the axle from said he had a single reservoir and it was fine 🤷🏼‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom