Best way to check for frame rust 87 fj60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking at a 1987 fj60 with 139k that runs very well and is bone dry on the bottom.

I checked the frame for rust when I looked before, and I'm going back tommorrow to look again. I kicked it on the sides beneath the doors, solid, but flaking (1 cm diameter).
What should I be looking for when I go back with a screwdriver and a hammer?
I know nothing should sink in, but I'm not sure I'll be able to tell the difference in pitch between a good ping and a bad ping.

The two longitudinal (don't know the real name) bars on the rear of the frame have been coated with rustoleum a few years ago, they aren't as rusty red as towards the front.

I've read conflicting things about painting the underside with paint. Is it worse because it's just trapping the cancer, or can it a reasonable solution to increase the life of a New England frame.

I'm planning on driving this rust bucket because it's in my price range and I won't have to worry about cancer on a rust free cruiser.

The frame is what I'm most worried about, so what is the best way to thoroughly check for frame rust?

Gouldsby said:
The frame is what I'm most worried about, so what is the best way to thoroughly check for frame rust?

Climb under it? :D

Just tap the hell out of it with a screwdriver and see what you get. The running joke around here is that a northern cruiser rots at the body down, but a southern cruiser rots at the frame up. --so it's not a funny joke...

Anyway, be suspecious of the stuff that's painted. Ask about it. Tap at it and don't be afraid to scratch some of that paint off to get a better look. Take a good magnet, too.

crank the spare down and out of the way, crawl under with a flashlight and a hammer. I did`nt because the mechanism was jambed and regretted it when I got home and had a good look.

Magnet?
I know to check for bondo, but what would the frame have been repaired with except steel?

Also, am I okay if it's flaking? At what point do I have to worry.

ben1be- great looking rig. hard to find here in CT.

Thanks for the advisory session!

Goulds

the biggest frame problems for FJ60s are the rear crossmembers (bar supporting the reaer shocks) and the U-bar that double inside the rear part fo the frame. Rust will cause this area to expand and look like thousands of folds of steel bursting out around the rivets (the big ones on the frame). If hte rest of the truck is solid and the price is right these things are totally fixable. Find a guy who advertises he's a professional welder and ask him to cut out the rivets and the bad metal. You can then treat it or whatever and he will weld in new U-bar for the length of the rear of the truck. This is only a 400-600$ job. If that scares you then you may not be suited for the FJ60 lifestyle, ie laying down good money on a sweet rig. After years of being poor and trying to have nice things I have come to accept rust as the inevitable consequence of driving when, where, and how ever the blank I want to. Hope it works out for you.

Also check the front right of the frame......A leaky battery can cause rust in that area.

Frame Rust

Or you could buy my 1983 FJ60 with no frame rust (Nevada truck) and completely rebuilt engine with 0 miles located in CT. Make me an offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom