Best viscosity for 2F motor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello, what would the best viscosity(5w-30w,10w-30w,10w-40w,20w-50w,etc.) be for the 1975 2F motor? I plan on using fully synthetic. I live in Northern California(typical summer heat=105 degrees, winters=40 degrees, averages).Engine has either 81,000 or 181,000 miles, i tend to believe 81,000 because of overall condition of vehicle. I don't have a tachometer but i rarely rev this thing to high as i'm never in that big of a hurry to get anywhere in this thing. Off road is done at a snails pace.Thanks

Welcome.

I am a 15w40 dino guy...

But if I were going to run something you posted....

20W50

Good luck!

-Steve

Yep, for those temps, in that engine, 20W50 would be perfect. 10W40 would not be bad. I consider 10W30 on the thin side and would only use it during the middle of winter, north of the arctic circle (seriously). I won't allow 5W30 within 30 paces of any of my F/2F/3F engines. ;)

None of the F series engines like thin oil.

Mark...

I always run 15-40 Shell Rotella in all my rigs. Great oil, and helps a little with oil pressure in older motors

I run a 20w50 on my 68 40...Don't go synthetic...use the regular oil.

Hey CruisinTiger, Would synthetic oil be non-compatible w seals or is it just unnecessary? Also, What about synthetic gear lube? Thanks, John

jwildzza said:
Hey CruisinTiger, Would synthetic oil be non-compatible w seals or is it just unnecessary? Also, What about synthetic gear lube? Thanks, John

It is not a compatibility issue so much as a return on the expense issue. Others have found that putting synthetic into a old engine, that oil leaks can start to appear from areas that it was not leaking from before.

Synthetic gear lube?

Again, this comes down to preference, and use of the vehicle. I change gear oil 3 to 5 times a year in my diffs and gearboxes, because the truck is USED HARD. I have ran synthetic gear oil when I lived in a colder climate than southern MN, and it seemed to help, but I do not think that over the life of my truck, that the benifits of a synthetic oil are going to return any dividends.

But that is just me. I do not mind changing oil.....oil is cheap really.

Now, if I purchased an 80 series that was using syn the whole time, or something else new, I would stay with it.

:beer:

Good luck!

-Steve

Toyota recommends 10w-40w for the engines in the climate that you describe.

If the motor is worn and the oil pressure is on the low side
(and the only way to check this is with a mechanical gage,
the electrical gage in the cruiser is useless), then I think
that anything starting with 5W or 10W is too thin for a
cruiser engine. I use 15w-40 in winter and 20w-50 in
summer. In Georgia.

Hi All:

Use 20W50 dino oil and install a tach!

You are not in a cold climate at all, and you'll find the info from the tach useful.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

oil

Thanks for all your replies. I have read that the oiling system isn't all that good on these motors(i.e., not pumping heavy amounts to the valves like a sb chevy does,etc.).So wouldn't it seem that a lighter oil(5w or 10w) would be easier for the pump to push and therefore increase the pressure throughout the motor? Also, what is dino oil? I run Chevron Delo 400 15w-40w in my Dodge cummins truck because of its high cleaning ability.Would this be good for this engine.Thanks again

The oiling system is not the best. It's not so much that it's bad, it's just not up to the standards of the rest of the engine. ;)

But you've got it all backwards. For starters there is no need for any more oil to the rockers. No sense in sending oil where it's not needed.

Oil that passes through the engine more readily also passes throygh the bearings more readily. This results in less pressure and less cushioning. Thats the opposite of what you want.

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom