Best tow hitch ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys here’s a pic of 78k mile cruiser new pads and rotors. Looking for a nice tow hitch with the electrical sockets. Any advice ?

1075432F-A408-4497-AEDD-57AF3722B710.jpeg

For the wiring harness you should be able to get the Hopkins or Hoppy 43405 from Amazon or another trailer parts supplier.

For the hitch Reese, Uhaul or get one from one of the used parts vendors.

I buy all my receiver hitches from eTrailer.com. I also get the harnesses with them.

If you want a "factory" hitch, you may want to hit the classified's here, as many folks get rid of them. Then media blast it and epoxy it black again. This way, your restoration still carries the "factory" appearance, even though the receiver hitches were port additions.

This is what I did for mine, sans the blasting and painting. I like the way the factory hitch tucks under the truck.

I’m not sure which is the best but I have a Curt and it works fine for my uses. Reasonably priced and made in the USA if thats important to you.

5401A010-6EDB-4E13-BC46-CDB18F755141.jpeg

13799837-F438-4D9D-AA1F-D756387D204D.jpeg

I use a Holland Pintle ball hitch with a military chain plate. Google pintle hitch and you’ll find lots of discussion and opinions about what you can and cannot tow with a pintle mounted in the OEM position.

Nice looking 80. I assume your 40th is antique sage pearl? It looks like desert dune metallic but might just be the lighting?

The running boards are unique. Did you fabricate them or did they come on the vehicle?

C94CF285-77A8-46BE-AD13-9FE8A907508E.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the pintle hitch pictured above, and I also have one of these:

hitch2.jpg
hitch.jpg

Note: neither is officially rated to tow in the US, but both do the job with ease.

I also have the "spare tire skidplate" model leftover from a previous setup (not my photo):

img_5910-jpg.1895220

Frankly all of them interfere with departure angle too much for my liking.

View attachment 2267620View attachment 2267621

Note: neither is officially rated to tow in the US, but both do the job with ease.

I also have the "spare tire skidplate" model leftover from a previous setup (not my photo):

img_5910-jpg.1895220

Frankly all of them interfere with departure angle too much for my liking.
@marlon828 that's the one I'm referring to. Maybe @Heckraiser would sell it to you to clean up and install to look new!

Never understood why some say the pintle hitch (above) wouldn’t be rated to tow in the US. It’s DOT approved for more capacity than the 80 is rated for.

Never understood why some say the pintle hitch (above) wouldn’t be rated to tow in the US. It’s DOT approved for more capacity than the 80 is rated for.

The hitch is not the issue...Toyota never officially rated the mount for towing in the US.

I use a Holland Pintle ball hitch with a military chain plate. Google pintle hitch and you’ll find lots of discussion and opinions about what you can and cannot tow with a pintle mounted in the OEM position.

Nice looking 80. I assume your 40th is antique sage pearl? It looks like desert dune metallic but might just be the lighting?

The running boards are unique. Did you fabricate them or did they come on the vehicle?

View attachment 2267469
Thank you, it is Antique Safe Pearl, but I’ve got to agree with you the lighting does make it look a little different. Those running boards came on it, not sure if I should replace them, I kind of like them they’re different. Hahahaha. Thank you for your help with the hitch

The hitch is not the issue...Toyota never officially rated the mount for towing in the US.
Maybe but I’m not sure how you confirm that they ever officially rated any mounting position. I guess if you interpret the “frame” as excluding the rear cross member (of the frame) then you could conclude that. The Owner’s Manual certainly isn’t clear on the subject.

F8BE3B80-1201-402D-B0BF-5E875F5F8576.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom