Best tires for daily city driving with weekend camping and beach (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tampacruiser95

Upgrades are coming.
Threads
I am going 285 75 16 and have stock height suspension. I would like to go more aggressive looking but keep the ride smooth and quiet.

I like the Kumho Road Venture Mt and BFG AT KO2. Any others I should look at? Anyone have the ones I am looking at? Any opinions?

Duratracs are quite popular and have a pretty aggressive looking tread but ride well. My buddy has them on his Cherokee and they are nice. A little road noise but not bad.

So many personal opinions on this one. I think Toyo AT2 and BFG KO2 would be my top 2 choices personally for those parameters. However they are both fairly expensive.

I'm in the same boat, I want the best tire on the road (quiet, good mpg) and great for airing down off road. I'm thinking Michelin AT2

I liked my revos, but when it got slick they didn't do well.

Agreed...I want a good tire on the road, but not at the cost of offroad performance. I want a tire the is appropriate for the type of offroad use I'm planning (expedition, aggressive trails, moderate rock crawling). When offroad, I need the tires to be aggressive enough to get me down the trail. If the tread design is not aggressive enough, I use recovery gear more often, have more frequent delays, and have I higher potential to break.

I have friends on all-terrain tires and they're happy until they get offroad and are spinning the tires in mud or loose material. One friend was working his way up a trail on all-terrains on a loose, rocky hill climb. He couldn't crawl up the hill without spinning the tires. Maintaining momentum with some wheel spin or winching up the lengthy hill climb were his options to continue the trail, so he took a chance and got on the gas. When the tires grabbed hard on a solid rock, something had to give. The driveshaft broke, then we winched and wrenched for an hour, before turning around to go home.

I like the Goodyear MTR. A little more expensive, but they handle well on the road, aren't very loud, and have been impressive offroad in the both muddy and rocky terrain.

I REALLY like the Cooper st maxx tires. I think they are one of the best all terrain tires out there.

Ditto Trail Grappler I have them in the size you are looking at. I have about 10K mostly city highway with some rock and mud. So far they have been great in all weather.

I've been running Falken Rocky Mountain ATS II for 3 years now.
They have been one of the better do it all tires I've ever purchased.
They aren't noisy, do well in the rain, are great off road.
Wear really well.
I would buy again in a heartbeat.

Im on my second set of Michelin ATX2's on my 2500 Chevy - great life , handle well on road and can handle a load when pulling but they are loud and Im not convinced they would do good off road.

Doesn't really matter what vehicle for the use described. Toyo AT's - best tire ever for what is described. I run Duratracs on other trucks, but Toyo's are your best bet for use identified.

I've been running Falken Rocky Mountain ATS II for 3 years now.
They have been one of the better do it all tires I've ever purchased.
They aren't noisy, do well in the rain, are great off road.
Wear really well.
I would buy again in a heartbeat.
I have the same tires but they are really terrible in snow and even more so on ice!

On my first set of Falken Wild Peaks in the 285 as well. They have done well over all- got all 5 to my door for under 800.....
Snow requires a pressure decrease for better results and ice is ice- chain up or stay home.

i am running michelin Ltx , get around 70k out of a set, very smooth, great treadlife on my 80 and I run bfg all terrains on my 62. thats my choice.

I currently have the Goodyear Duratracs in 285/75/16 with stock suspension. I like it a lot. Aggressive looks and perform very good both dry and wet road. also did very good when we had snow/Ice here and had to drive from a hilly and curvy road.

I had the Toyo AT tires on my 80 when I got it. They were ok. I thought they had weak sidewalls and got slick as they got older. I replaced them with a set of Bridgestone REVOs that I loved until they got older. I got 60K+ miles out of them and still had almost 50% tread left when I finally replaced them because they were starting to get too hard and loud at the end, and were getting dry-rot-looking cracks in them. Great tires, overall. I went with Cooper AT3s this time and, so far, I like them even better than the REVOs. They seem a little heavier, but the tread is great on the road, does great in the mud and snow, clears better than either the Toyos or the REVOs, and has great grip on the rocks. Love them so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom