"Best" tire in 285/65/18 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I plan on having the dealer immediately swap out the 285/60/18 Dunlops for 285/65/18s on my new HE. Looking for something a little more off-road oriented and better looking, but still have decent on road manners.

"Best" can be very subjective, so I'll ask what is everyone's "favorite" tire for the 200 in this size? Any reason to look beyond the BFG T/A KO2? In addition to the KO2s, I've narrowed my choices to the following:

General Grabber A/TX
Goodyear Wrangler AT Adv w/ Kev
Yoko Geolandar X-AT
Nitto Terra Grappler 2

I love Michelin tires, but I want something a little more aggressive than the LTX A/T2s.

Thanks in advance. -John

Last edited:
Easy, Hankcook DynaPro ATM RF10. I have literally put these on 3 different Land Cruisers and 2 4Runners ranging from 265/70R17 to 275/55/20's and they always ride great on the road, plenty of snow traction in the winter work well for light off roading, last for ever and look great!

Yoko X-AT is very heavy. For that weight, i rather get BFG KO2.

GY Adventure is nice in that it is mild enough for good highway manners but tough enough for off-roading.......but actual off-road traction may not be much better than Michelins.

I’m looking for a larger tire than stock but also looking to not ad a load rating E tire if possible. I’ve come across the Duratracs that are offered in an 8 ply D rated tire in size 285/65r18. Seem to weigh about 6 lbs less per tire than BFG ko2 for example. Any experience or thoughts out there? Everything in the tire / whee database for this size is E rated

I’m looking for a larger tire than stock but also looking to not ad a load rating E tire if possible. I’ve come across the Duratracs that are offered in an 8 ply D rated tire in size 285/65r18. Seem to weigh about 6 lbs less per tire than BFG ko2 for example. Any experience or thoughts out there? Everything in the tire / whee database for this size is E rated
I doubt the difference between a D and E rated tire would be as noticeable as a difference in tread pattern. I have Duratracs and I'm not a huge fan. Not as good in mud as a mud tire, not as quiet on road as an All Terrain. If you want Duratracs, buy Duratracs, but don't buy them just for the Load Range D.

I doubt the difference between a D and E rated tire would be as noticeable as a difference in tread pattern. I have Duratracs and I'm not a huge fan. Not as good in mud as a mud tire, not as quiet on road as an All Terrain. If you want Duratracs, buy Duratracs, but don't buy them just for the Load Range D.

Thx for the reply. To your point - I’d only be buying them to save some unsprung weight.

As you noted everything in 285/65/18 is LT-E except the LT-D Duratracs. I agree that ride and MPG hit will probably be similar to LT-E tires.

The General Grabber APT is available in 275/70/18 in a P rating. At least one MUD member has them & likes them on-road with no mpg hit vs stock. Not much info on this tire; it’s OEM on Nissan Titan pickups.

Last edited:
Here’s NITTOs 285/65/18 on a truck @Eric Sarjeant built, albeit with a lift and spacers.
C100C6E4-556A-416E-80CD-F410F751B8E7.jpeg

I love my Grabber ATX's

Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo III.
Ok, I was a huge fan of Revo’s and I hated them too. Back in the day the Revo’s and Revo II’s rocked for a mild A/T. Awesome in the rain, light snow etc. Another thing I loved was they were quiet and they didn’t get hard. That’s to say wet/dry pavement traction was solid to the end of the tread life. Finally I loved how round they were. Balance them once after about 6k miles and they were smooth as could be until replacement time.

What I (hated) disliked was cost/mile. They were expensive to buy and 45-52k mile tires. I ran them on my beloved ‘99 Trooper and I ran a set on my 4th gen 4Runner.

How do the III’s do with regard to tread life? Any other objective/subjective comments?

Last edited:
I just had duratracs put on my 08. Had them before, tried the KO2’s in between, which I was not impressed with tread life. Tire guy screwed up and put D rated tracs on so I’ve been on them over weekend. Will get E rated put on this week.

Ok, I was a huge fan of Revo’s and I hated them too. Back in the day the Revo’s and Revo II’s rocked for a mild A/T. Awesome in the rain, light snow etc. Another thing I loved was they were quiet and didn’t get hard. That’s to say wet/dry pavement traction was solid to the end of the tread life. Finally I loved how round they were. Balance them once after about 6k miles and they were smooth as could be until replacement time.

What I (hated) disliked was cost/mile. They were expensive to buy and 45-52k mile tires. I ran them on my beloved ‘99 Trooper and I ran a set on my 4th gen 4Runner.

How do the III’s do with regard to tread life? Any other objective/subjective comments?
I just had duratracs put on my 08. Had them before, tried the KO2’s in between, which I was not impressed with tread life. Tire guy screwed up and put D rated tracs on so I’ve been on them over weekend. Will get E rated put on this week.
cost per mile was also my concern. Got maybe 40-50k out of the K02s that were more expensive than the duratracs E rated that I previously got over 80k miles out of. They wore even and performed well in Maine winters.

Ok, I was a huge fan of Revo’s and I hated them too. Back in the day the Revo’s and Revo II’s rocked for a mild A/T. Awesome in the rain, light snow etc. Another thing I loved was they were quiet and they didn’t get hard. That’s to say wet/dry pavement traction was solid to the end of the tread life. Finally I loved how round they were. Balance them once after about 6k miles and they were smooth as could be until replacement time.

I had them on my Tacoma prior to the LC and found them to be excellent all around ATs. I wanted something for 80/20 pavement/dirt and gravel. Probably put 10k miles on them and they showed virtually no wear. They are pricey, but my tire guy (independent Firestone shop) would have sold me any tire I wanted and he believes Bridgestone is making the best quality tires today.

I’ll be putting them on my LC in this same size fairly soon.

Last edited:
I would second the Nitto TG G2. I felt that rose comparably to previous Michelin LTX, but better off road.
That being said, when I replace the AT/2 it will likely be trying the Ridge Grapplers. Client of mine has had on two different 2500’s and got over 65k out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom