Best tire for stock 16" wheels for COMFORT & snow/rain HWY (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My sister is taking my 100 to Minnesota and needs new tires. I had michelin LTX M/S2 but they changed it to defender line and got negative reviews from the original LTX. I loved my original LTX M&S, what do I buy that gives impeccable handling in all conditions especially snow?

I would still go with the Defenders. I've heard nothing but good things about those and we run them on our F150 and they've been great. Handle all weather decently well, especially rain at highway speeds.
Has anything better come out?

I have KO2s on my 200, while pretty they are not as good on highway as the michelins. Also they are stiffer.

Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT or XLT. I've had a couple sets of these, first on a Land Rover Disco II and the a Chevy Silverado. I was very pleased with their performance and would purchase again if I didn't need a more aggressive off road tire.

I'll second the Discoverer AT3 LT recommendation. I'll also mention that in 265/75-16 they are available in C-load rating and are just over 40 lbs so you won't notice any changes in acceleration/braking. Don't expect them to be great on ice (nothing but a dedicated winter/studded tire will be) but in deep snow, packed powder they are very good.

I have loved my set of Toyo Open Country HT tires for the past 5 years.

I run Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S on my Sequoia and they've also been great. Would definitely consider them again. Seem to be a mix between a highway and AT style tire (Defender would still be the smoothest on road for sure).

Michelin Defenders would be my first choice. However, they were back ordered for many months in Jan 2022, or were unavailable even to order. I ended getting Yokohama Geolanders instead and have been very happy.

I ended up ordering Michelins but in 265/75 R16. Was that a bad move? They had 200 pcs in stock of this size, whereas the normal 275/70 R16 were 8-12 weeks back ordered. This is for my sister who is a normal driver on the highway. I got the normal ply as to make the ride softer.

They tried to sell me on yokos but didn't want to spend the next 12 years wishing I had bought the michelins instead. The sales rep said it should only make less than a 1mph difference on speedometer.

Why isn't it a more popular size? I would think for offroading thinner might be better?

That is a nice size and you wont be disappointed.

Yeah I felt the same way about the 275/70 R16 when I did the 1.5" SLEE lift. But in terms of ride and comfort the michelins are really smooth. I was half tempted to get 35s if my sister wasn't using it.

Got them installed, tires pretty much look the same to me. You can tell if you look for it. Love the michelins on the highway, fun racing around 90mph. Wish they made them for 200 in c load.

I'm happy with the BFG KO2

I’m in the market for new tires as well. Michelin Defenders appear to be perpetually out of stock. Any other thoughts on the Yokohama geolandar h/t g056 for all season mostly pavement? Better to keep seeking out the defenders?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom