best time 2 back into a tree? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When is the best time to back up into a tree? Some enjoy the early morning impact some midday others at dusk. I even know people who prefer to save their backing it to a tree for the rain or snow. Me I like to back in to a tree the weekend I have the bumper off the truck as I am in the middle of fabricating my rear bumper. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
tree1.jpg

Last edited:
Ouch :frown:

Thats a couple grand :mad:

Is the tailgate creased? Can't the local paintless dent removers handle it?

Both gates. Well past paintless dent capabilities.

The upper tailgate is not so bad. I am not planning on getting it back to 100%. The upper is minor enough to live with, and the lower is folded a bit beyond what I think can be straightened. I will pick up a used tailgate and paint it. I will PM you (C-Dan) for some tail light assembly and other stuff. I have to take it all down to see what I need. My big concern is the impact buckled the rear corner panel a bit. Off with the flairs may be the cheap solution. Murphy’s Law is full proof; I am in the middle of fabricating a wing type rear bumper that would have minimized the damage. Heck, even the lame stocker would have helped.

Hard to tell from your photo but if it did get into the quarter panel and send a wrinkle through it, my earlier estimate is too low.:frown:

I forgot about that option

The best time for me is when I am driving the 40. I can get out with a hammer and fix any dents that make it over my tube bumper.

I wonder if an aftermarket more "heavy duty" bumper would have saved your ass? Either way, that's a funny thread intro, props to you for keeping humor in a crappy situation. I vote no to backing into trees.

cruiserdan said:
Hard to tell from your photo but if it did get into the quarter panel and send a wrinkle through it, my earlier estimate is too low.:frown:

Yes, speaking from experience, replacing the quarter panel and fixing the gates runs just north of $7200. Good luck.

I would add those lame plastic end-caps to the list of chinks in the armor of these tanks. If I had hit the tree that took out my quarter panel with the front ARB bumper, I would have knocked the tree down. :mad:

Just get it really muddy.....you'll never know the difference.

While you are building that bumper put a spair tire mount on it to cover the evididence that you are a tree assaulter.

If you don't have any leak issues with the new character marks, I would almost leave it alone. If mine didn't have a 1/2" gap between the lower gate and the dented quarter, I probably wouldn't have done a full-on repair. As long as you can cover it up so you don't get rust and you don't have any fit issues of the gates, just count it as a battle scar.

Sucks. Sorry to see that.

Steve

I think the best time to back into a tree is while it is a sapling!

Never...............IMHO

You have trees in Brooklyn? :D

While the tree may have broken my momentum (amongst other things) it also broke some inertia. I will pick up a use tail gate and tail light, and with some well planed and placed convincing with a BFH( Big F%@#ing Hammer) I will get as good as I can, take of the flares then cover it with Duraback. And then call it my trucks ruff puberty years. This makes my pre ROTW list much longer.

On the up side I had a great day, with good friends who had never been in the mud.

C6H12O6 said:
I would add those lame plastic end-caps to the list of chinks in the armor of these tanks. If I had hit the tree that took out my quarter panel with the front ARB bumper, I would have knocked the tree down. :mad:

"Lame plastic endcaps."

My wife clipped the entrance to the garage backing out and ripped one of those lame plastic endcaps clean off.

Now that I have a proper bumper, I figure next time she miscalculates backing out, I'll be fixing the garage rather than the Cruiser.

Hayes

P.S. I like the idea of hiding the dent with a bumper-mounted spare tire.

Hayes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom