Best Tall Guy Aftermarket Seats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got an 85 FJ60 and am 6'7" and am wondering what the best recommendations for aftermarket seats are for someone who cant sacrifice the headroom I have with the stock seats. Any options? Original seats are in visibly good condition but drivers seat is sagging to the right a little making longer drives uncomfortable. Thanks in advance.

Pretty much you have one option

Scheel-Mann.

check out the Vario F XXL

Pricey but in the long run not so bad. They offer a model for those of us with taller torsos. I’m 6’3 with a tall torso and long legs and seats are always a problem. Found one racing seat in the uk that fits me. And only the scheel Mann seats offer one that will fit specifically.
Other than that you need a custom seat made or you have to get creative with what’s out there

Pretty much you have one option

Scheel-Mann.

check out the Vario F XXL

Pricey but in the long run not so bad. They offer a model for those of us with taller torsos. I’m 6’3 with a tall torso and long legs and seats are always a problem. Found one racing seat in the uk that fits me. And only the scheel Mann seats offer one that will fit specifically.
Other than that you need a custom seat made or you have to get creative with what’s out there

I’m hunting for an excuse to get these seats too, everything I’ve read only goes to show they’re excellent.

Post some pictures of them in your rig if you can

I’m hunting for an excuse to get these seats too, everything I’ve read only goes to show they’re excellent.

Post some pictures of them in your rig if you can

Unfortunately its still a dream for me. There is another Mud member who has them though and only speaks good things. I'll see if I can locate that thread.

One of several seat threads (I started this one so its easier for me to find).

Page 4 @Kmonty66 has a set installed in their 60 and posted some pictures

Don't have much in the way of photos but these may give you an idea of the seat height relative to the door cards. Once the truck is back from AZ, we can meet up and you can try them out.

Vario F seats on Planted seat brackets. Planted is in Bellevue BTW.

IMG_20191226_153345.jpg

IMG_20191228_094135.jpg

Sheep-Mann’s are an incredible option if cost is not a factor. My brother just put some in his 60 and there is no question about how nice they are. I’m not sure how well they accommodate tall people as I did not play around with the adjustments. Driving his truck I did notice I was sitting higher than normal which reminded me of a stock seat with new SOR seat foam. I do have a set of Recaro seats that came in a HJ61 fresh off the boat. I swapped them into my 60 and the frames put under them will get you almost to the back seat. They sit much lower than a stock seat as well. Here are some pictures that will give you an idea of how they sit in the truck. Included is the label on the frame. It’s from Japan but may give you something to reference if you’re interested.
6D4D82E0-89D5-4CF3-A4E6-5933D0BF2F61.jpeg
6D4D82E0-89D5-4CF3-A4E6-5933D0BF2F61.jpeg
01B918EF-C816-4016-B79C-36F393793C20.jpeg
4D016235-865F-4B6E-A7D6-841712206E8B.jpeg

I recommend you sit on a flat surface and sit up straight. Have someone measure the distance from the surface you are sitting on to the top of the middle of your shoulder. Use this length to gage how a seat back will fit you. Ideally the top of the seat should be parallel to or higher than your shoulders and the seat rest higher from there. I’m pretty sure the stock seat top is cutting into my shoulder blades. This is really a potential safety issue because in a crash the seat is not properly supporting your back and could lead to serious injury

Also in a lot of bolstered seats the bolstering is in the wrong place for tall people and adds a lot of discomfort.

While you would lose the heater under the passenger seat, BMW 3-series give you plenty of room. I'm 6'1" and can't use all the space they give me. Much less expensive.

I just drove to Chattanooga and back - 530 miles each way. At both ends, felt like I'd gone to the neighborhood market. No stiffness or soreness. Leather is the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom