Best suspension on FJ40. Need advice. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A lot of people think the OME suspensions are very good. They come with a higher price tag once you factor in shackles and shocks. I went a different route and bought Hell Creek springs and bought the shackles and shocks separately. If you plan on wheeling, I'd spend money on anti-inversion shackles and 4Plus U bolt flips kits. Also, I like Bilstein shocks.

X2 on the Bilsteins

As much as I am not a fan of Pro Comp, at least their springs are manufactured in India by a company that NHK has an interest in. With NHK involved, the springs are probably amongst the finest on the market. Check to see if Pro Comp still makes FJ40 springs, then compare their features against other brands.

For the absolute best ride...have your stock springs re-arched.

How much height can you get out of re-arched stock springs before shackle angles start to creep to the dark side? That is something I had not considered, though I've got other fish to fry before buying springs. Time come, I had planned on giving Atlas Spring down in City of Industry a try...their progressive series with +1" height is very appealing to me.

But if you do, make sure the spring re-archer does not add in a monster leaf to hold the arch. This is a common practice, then the springs ride like crap!!!

How much height can you get out of re-arched stock springs before shackle angles start to creep to the dark side? That is something I had not considered, though I've got other fish to fry before buying springs. Time come, I had planned on giving Atlas Spring down in City of Industry a try...their progressive series with +1" height is very appealing to me.

I'd wager money that Downey has got some stories about Atlas.:popcorn:

Thanks for the advices, friends! ;)

A lot of people think the OME suspensions are very good. They come with a higher price tag once you factor in shackles and shocks. I went a different route and bought Hell Creek springs and bought the shackles and shocks separately. If you plan on wheeling, I'd spend money on anti-inversion shackles and 4Plus U bolt flips kits. Also, I like Bilstein shocks.

Do you use +2 or +4 Hell Creek springs? Anti-invention shackles is +1,5 or other? Give art. of Bilstein, please. Is it B6 or B8 Offroad or other? A wheel diameter that you use? 35? Maybe you could post a photos with the suspention parts and how is it looks when they installed on?

Last edited:
Any good truck shop should re arch a spring. The will give you the disclaimer thought, no guarantees.

I put an OME on mine, and I love the ride. Mind you I had flat stock srpings in front and some heavy duty leafs in back. It was cheaper to buy OME than to have some original spec'd springs made or buy toyota. Kept the shocks. Severe cruiser lean occured but I fabricated a shim plate not unlike what was available from toyota and life is good. I think my rig is to blame more than the springs...

Good luck!

Thanks for the advices, friends! ;)

Do you use +2 or +4 Hell Creek springs? Anti-invention shackles is +1,5 or other? Give art. of Bilstein, please. Is it B6 or B8 Offroad or other? A wheel diameter that you use? 35? Maybe you could post a photos with the suspention parts and how is it looks when they installed on?

I used 2.5" springs, MAF anti-inversion shackles and Bilstein 5100 shocks. I also used 4Plus Products U-bolt flip kits on both ends. I have 33" tires.

The rear is really high for a 2.5" lift. In these pictures, the springs have only a few miles on them...

In these pictures, they have about 1,000 miles on them...

Man, I love your truck Boston.

The original poster was inquiring where to get a lift kit and he is in Russia, any ideas for Russia? I would think New Zealand would be the closest to his location.

Man, I love your truck Boston.

The original poster was inquiring where to get a lift kit and he is in Russia, any ideas for Russia? I would think New Zealand would be the closest to his location.

Thanks @SSCR.

I have to imagine that ARB is for sale in Russia...

ARB is Australia’s largest manufacturer and distributor of 4x4 accessories. We also have an international presence, with an office in the USA and an export network that extends through more than 100 countries around the globe. Our philosophy, however, has never wavered from its original course – quality, reliability and practicality above all else.

I have ProComp lift on my 82 and very happy with it. 2.5 inch lift

The problem with re-arched stock springs is the same problem that OME springs have. They are too short for the amount of lift they give you. So anti inversion shackles are needed. Those shackles are a bandaid. By making the spring longer, they are no longer needed. It's a balancing act..

@SouthBostonFJ40 great looking rig, Alex!!

The problem with re-arched stock springs is the same problem that OME springs have. They are too short for the amount of lift they give you. So anti inversion shackles are needed. Those shackles are a bandaid. By making the spring longer, they are no longer needed. It's a balancing act..

It looks to be expensive too ... Just going by what eaton springs says on their webpage.

I don't know if anyone has come up with new science lately, but devine wisdom is "you can't re-heat treat spring steel that has already been heat treated". Most spring re-archers know that the re-arch won't hold, so they install an ignorant add-a-leaf into the package to help hold the arch. Problem with the add-a-leaf is it rides like hell. If someone has come up with a better re-arch that I don't know about- - -goodie goodie, I'm all ears.

I agree totally , re-arching doesn't last long and usually results in one corner sitting weird . Also , agreed on spring pack length - in my opinon unless you went to longer 55 or 60 series springs any lift spring on the market is too short , and some out there are really far too short . Those packs need to be longer and use longer shackles to make the lift work correctly and prevent binding . Longer pack , higher arch and a progressive spring will equal a lot more travel in length , hence the longer shackles need ....
Just saying , I've built several sets of my own using take-off packs that are mixed/matched to attain a lift both spring-over and spring-under .
Sarge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom