Best suspension on FJ40. Need advice. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow.....you could not be more wrong. Shocks are not shocks and all shocks are not created equal. Have you ever heard of valving? It's what makes a shock a shock. There are a ton of variables that need to be addressed......if you want the best performance out of a shock package.

Lol, I already clarified my statement. I didn't mean brand or quality, but application. My statement came from my experience with Bilstein and OME who dismissed my inquiry with "we don't make those shocks for your application." That is BS! All you need are measurements and the right mounts and you are good to go.

That is what I meant by "a shock is a shock" I guess I'll have to edit my oringial statement so people don't keep getting pissed at my apparent "idiocy"

I don't plan to argue with you.....but you still don't get it. There's more to it than you think.
Do you even understand what valving is?

Skyjacker would be my recommendation. You can buy all four for around $600 bucks and they are quiet and a soft ride. Made in USA too!

I did not find an application for fj40 on the Skyjacker site, strangely....

Skyjacker would be my recommendation. You can buy all four for around $600 bucks and they are quiet and a soft ride. Made in USA too!
How about FJ40 which are made after 8/80?

Ristretto, you'll be happy to know that Pro-Comp springs are made by NHK, they are the company who builds genuine Toyota springs. When Downey was in business, we were lucky enough to get to use NHK, and NHK designed more features into a Downey spring than the number of features that genuine factory springs had. Eventually Toyota's factory spring features caught up with Downey springs though. Only problem with your suspension now is Pro-Comp uses Gabriel as their shock supplier, and Gabriel's tend to be on the stiffer side of life.
Dave (DSB345), I recommend something very velocity sensitive (like Bilsteins) for the front, and something very soft for the rear (like Doetsch-Tech MV-12's, that are no longer available). Nothing is happening at your rear end, no engine weight/no pounding, so the softer the shock the better the ride on and off road.
After reading this on another thread, and coming to terms with myself that my 40 is never going to do anything more hard core than a logging road, Ive decided Im going to go with ProComp 2.5" springs which are cheaper ($128 and $117 plus free ship), and while they dont have the military wrap, they also look like they have decent length compared to others (based on installed photos) which seem to have the same over arched issue my Rough Country springs have. I considered HFS but they need a longer shackle to clear their wrap and only sell as a kit.

I have the recommended Bilsteins already for a 2-4" lift in front 33-185606. In the back Im going with KYB's excel-G line 343403. It is 25.11” extended & 14.96” compressed. This is the longer than the recommenced replacement for a stock FJ40 and is softer than the (more expensive) performance shocks. Both are on Amazon.

Will post an update when I get it all done.

After reading this on another thread, and coming to terms with myself that my 40 is never going to do anything more hard core than a logging road, Ive decided Im going to go with ProComp 2.5" springs which are cheaper ($128 and $117 plus free ship), and while they dont have the military wrap, they also look like they have decent length compared to others (based on installed photos) which seem to have the same over arched issue my Rough Country springs have. I considered HFS but they need a longer shackle to clear their wrap and only sell as a kit.

I have the recommended Bilsteins already for a 2-4" lift in front 33-185606. In the back Im going with KYB's excel-G line 343403. It is 25.11” extended & 14.96” compressed. This is the longer than the recommenced replacement for a stock FJ40 and is softer than the (more expensive) performance shocks. Both are on Amazon.

Will post an update when I get it all done.

Any updates on this setup?

Any updates on this setup?
I wish I had an update. My electrical rewire hit a set back, I got discouraged and it all was put on hold as I got married last month. I did just get back from my honeymoon in Australia and must say that while I mostly saw 70 series trucks (and a few 45s) that trip got me motivated to work on my Land Cruiser again!

I wish I had an update. My electrical rewire hit a set back, I got discouraged and it all was put on hold as I got married last month. I did just get back from my honeymoon in Australia and must say that while I mostly saw 70 series trucks (and a few 45s) that trip got me motivated to work on my Land Cruiser again!

I’m continually amazed at how many MUDders stop working, on their truck, to get married. Must be something in the fuel... ;)

Congratulations!!

:cheers:

Ryan, could you post a follow up on your suspension work? Curious how it’s working out for you.

I don't know if anyone has come up with new science lately, but devine wisdom is "you can't re-heat treat spring steel that has already been heat treated". Most spring re-archers know that the re-arch won't hold, so they install an ignorant add-a-leaf into the package to help hold the arch. Problem with the add-a-leaf is it rides like hell. If someone has come up with a better re-arch that I don't know about- - -goodie goodie, I'm all ears.
Don't know about "new science", but I had my '74 FJ40's front springs re-arched WAY BACK around '78. The guy did NOT use heat, he used a BFH!! and a special "jig" that held a single leaf spring.. He beat the hell outta those springs until ALL the leafs in BOTH fronts were curved exactly the same.. THEN on reassembly, he added the heavy "overload spring" (just a short, thick "spring" or steel bar under the bottom..) the leaf pack never "went flat". I put over 250K miles (300K total on the vehicle!) on those front springs and they were STILL holding the front at a "correct looking" height when the 40 was about twenty-five years old. The cost to re-arch the fronts was $100!! At the time, I could not afford the time (or the money) to get the rears done, so I bought a pair of Gabriel Air Shocks for the rear as it was sagging, as well.. I might note that I also have an "Equalizer Hitch" on the rear for when I pulled a 6000lb 23' Travel Trailer.. While the FJ40 did NOT ride like a Cadillac, it sure as hell didn't ride like a "Deuce and a Half", either.
Charles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom