Best suspension on FJ40. Need advice. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't know if anyone has come up with new science lately, but devine wisdom is "you can't re-heat treat spring steel that has already been heat treated". Most spring re-archers know that the re-arch won't hold, so they install an ignorant add-a-leaf into the package to help hold the arch. Problem with the add-a-leaf is it rides like hell. If someone has come up with a better re-arch that I don't know about- - -goodie goodie, I'm all ears.

You are correct. I have seen re-arch and be flat within a year. New is the way to go.

I don't know if anyone has come up with new science lately, but devine wisdom is "you can't re-heat treat spring steel that has already been heat treated". Most spring re-archers know that the re-arch won't hold, so they install an ignorant add-a-leaf into the package to help hold the arch. Problem with the add-a-leaf is it rides like hell. If someone has come up with a better re-arch that I don't know about- - -goodie goodie, I'm all ears.

You are correct. I have seen re-arch and be flat within a year. New is the way to go.

Very useful info, thanks.
About buying ARB in Russia: no problem, but waiting 5-6 month. ;)
I wanted to by AquaLu frame and they will send a big parcel in the nearest future, may be I could found lift kit that I need in Canada!?

Hello. Guys, advice to me, please.
I need the best tuning suspension kit on FJ40 (+2 lift). Advise manufacturer, please.
Where can I buy it?

Contact Fernando at Atlas Spring, pick his brain and have him put together a package for you. 626-333-7373. You can't get any better.

I have read many of posts about how happy people were with Atlas springs and getting them custom made for a softer ride. Like said above talk to them about your rig and what you will use it for. I went with Hellscreek because of how cheap it was a few years ago and everyone really liked the ride and quality. But I have heard Hellscreek is no longer making their own springs and they are not the same, but that could just be a rumor. I have never heard of anyone being happy with re arched springs in the long run, they have flattened out for a reason and re arching them to more lift then they were originally would not be a good idea. There is a good reason why they want give you a guarantee.

I have Hell for stout 2.5" lift on mine with the 1.5" shackles, perfect hight IMHO. I bought from CCOT kit was reasonable, only gripe I have is with the supplied shocks .. they suck kitty litter. The ride is pretty good .. better than the worn stock springs. and I had to put 4Deg shims front and back to cure drivability issues (wandering and drive shaft vibrations)

Shackle reversal really has no impact on ride quality. Commonly when people do a SR it is in conjunction with swapping out springs/bushings/shocks. That is what makes the major difference in handling. Not the actual location of the shackles.

There are a couple of reasons to do a SR. Ride quality is not one.

Last edited:
The only down side of shackle reversal is you have to pay attention to the amount of slip yoke travel you have built into your drive shaft. If the drive shaft slip yoke can fully bottom out before the suspension is fully bottomed out, you've got a cracked transfer-case !!!!!

Or proper design. Pushing the spring mount directly to the frame (which is common) reduces the "proper" handling of a vehicle. the springs are designed to be flat. Not sloped upwards.

If you put a little work (I say a little compared to the work you have to put into linking it) the results can be very impressive with leaf springs and a shackle reversal. I have Atlas springs, Icon 2.0's and some old school shackle reversal and with a little work pushing the hangers back this thing rides and drives like a modern truck with all of the simplicity of leaf springs and the ability to defeat a 30 degree RTI, and it's sprung under.

Rearching leaf springs with these trucks or any truck that already rides rough never makes anyone happy. You do have to throw an add a leaf in there that really stiffens it up, and even then you'll probably start to sag with a hard top within a few months. Spend the money one and get it out of the way (again nothing compared to coil overs and 4 link) and enjoy your Cruiser.

Here's a picture when we were doing a test flex at Atlas after we first put the new suspension together. You'll note those poor old Doeche Tech shocks hanging down there. Now running 12" travel fronts and 14" travel rears.
Cruiser Test Flex 2.jpg

Does anyone have experience with a company called Archer Automotive Spring from New Zealand? They are the only ones who still make parabolic springs for FJ40s (I know some people aren't huge fans of parabolic springs).

I'm looking for long travels to be paired with the atlas springs and I'm toying with the idea of mounting them to the Teraflex Revolver shackles. I don't plan on serious rock crawling, but I'd like to be able to amble through a rock garden or riverbed with confidence. So the 12 and 14 long travels mentioned in this thread are interesting to me. Hoping to find part numbers.

Revolver shackles won't help your rig much..

I'm looking for long travels to be paired with the atlas springs and I'm toying with the idea of mounting them to the Teraflex Revolver shackles. I don't plan on serious rock crawling, but I'd like to be able to amble through a rock garden or riverbed with confidence. So the 12 and 14 long travels mentioned in this thread are interesting to me. Hoping to find part numbers.

After rocking the cantilever shackles, I recommend against them. They’re great for an RTI ramp or getting over boulders on level ground, but they let the suspension unload when coming up and down obstacles and scare the F out of you. Have Fernando at Atlas build you some mega leafs, move the hangers and get a big, flat leaf spring in there and you’ll get 4 link like performance and ride without all of the chopping and moving parts. I’m taking my new Cruiser to Atlas this week for the Fernando treatment, I recommend it to anyone who wants to step it up a notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom