Best suspension for MY FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cruiser Gods,

I am looking to replace my OME suspension with something softer. I am currently running OME heavy springs in the front and medium in the rear, with OME shocks. 95% of the time my rig is very light (for and 80). I have a non-winch ARB bumper and a Weathertech box in the back with approx. 100lb of tools and recovery equipment. I mostly use my cruiser on dirt roads and trails. I am too attached to this rig to abuse her in any way.

Currently driving down a dirt road at 15mph feels like I am in a tractor. I have been looking at Icon stage 1 kit with progressive springs. Can I please get some feedback from people running this set up with a lighter rig? Are there any other suspensions I should consider?

What is my OME suspension worth? I have about 500 miles on the OME suspension.

Pictures of my baby (Betty)

IMG_3139.JPG

IMG_3143.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

Stock height or 2.5" OME Heavy?

I just bought icon’s, I should have it up and running by the end of the weekend. I went with Fox shocks, but that’s cause I could get a deal on them.

2.5 heavy

I call first dibs on the OME you are taking out. Let me know what all you are removing (springs, shocks, steering damper.....) with P/N's if you can. This is exactly what I am looking for.

We'll PM the deal.

I'm not in a big hurry, but will work with you on time.

If you're happy with the height, just try different shocks instead of swapping your springs also.

Agree with the above... switching from OME shocks to Fox shocks made a marked difference for absorbing bumps on and off road. I still have OME 850/860 and see no reason to swap them out in the near future.

Thanks for all quick replies! I had at first considered swapping to fox shock almost immediately after test driving my truck. I am very happy with the height of my truck so swapping to fix shock is still an option for me.

Maybe somebody could school me on the advantages and disadvantages of progressive springs on an 80 series.

I am really looking for the best possible ride on dirt roads in the 10-30MPH range.

So let's say hypothetically that I have Fox shocks. The only variable is the springs. How will the OME springs compare to the ICON?

10-30mph is an easy target to shoot for, but honestly, are you airing down? Or just running 40psi and rawdogging it around?

Sounds like a perfect bumper sticker: "40psi and rawdogging it around". LOL.

I wonder if OP has load range E tires too.

Isn't Florida the flattest state in the United States?

Yes, I usually air down to around 18-20psi. It Obviously helps. Tire load is D.

Largest hills in Florida are the fire ant mounds. This truck spends most of its time in the red hills of souther Georgia.
My dad lives on 17,000 acres where there is 300-400 feet in elevation change. Which seems like mountains to a flat lander like me. But that is where my truck spends most of its off pavement time. Just cruising old washed out dirt roads

I would go for a great set of shocks 1st.

If that is not enough then go with the OME stock height springs, they worked great for me with 30mm spacers.
Most people don't know they are dual rate.
Fronts are 170/250
Rears 170/260
Slinkies are great, but doubt you are needing a high end suspension set up unless you want to go faster.

If money is not a option Slinky does have a 50mm suspension along with Dobinson.
All three options I gave you are dual rate coils.

Last edited:
If you like the height, go with OME 2.5" stock WEIGHT springs.

I need the heavies because I have a winch in the front with future heavy bumper and a wheelchair lift out the rear.

I have the Icon Stage 1 and love it. I have ARB front with 12k winch and IPOR with single swing on the rear, 285 tires. Other than that I'm unloaded. It soaks up the bumps very well. It appears to be much higher than the 2.5" just from the pics I've seen but it is marketed at a 3" kit. There is a slight amount of stink bug, maybe .5"-1".

I have a Tough Dog 2" spring suspension. With 41mm foam cell shocks. It is the "light" version meant for 0-600 lbs, IIRC. @reevesci can chime in specifically.

I have been very pleased with it and spend a lot of time on washboard gravel roads.

My everyday weight in the backend is a wood sleep platform, 50lbs of tools and parts, and a fridge. When I had it loaded down it rode even nicer. I know @mervo has the progressive springs and loves them. But he has a rear bumper with dual swing out and storage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom