Best Springs for Icon Stage 1 shock system?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Need guidance as Ive been researchung tons of options for shocks and springs upgrade.

Here is my goal:

Stock height with Arb front bumper and slee rear bumper, nothing else and do not do too much crawling but mostly for daily driver and lightweight/med duty. Never tow anything either.

I also do not want a very stiff ride.

Ive been recommended ARB OME, fox, pro comp, tjm, etc but have narrowed it down to ICON stage 1 shock system but still need springs.

Any advice from experience would be greatly appreciated.

I have icon stage 1 rear shocks, but also iron man rear lift springs that are labeled as a two inch rear lift but are more like 2.5 to 3 with no weight and a stock bumper.

Even the icon stage 1 rear shocks are marketed as a 0-3" rear application. I believe you will find your self with broken shocks on a stock height rear setup in my personal opinion- they are that long. But perfect with a lift spring.

Used rear springs are cheap enough and easy enough to put in that you probably shouldn't overthink it. Lots of options, but the OME offerings give you the most variety of lift and spring rate. If you don't want it too high, the OME 865 spring is really barely noticeable. It's supposed to be 1.5", but it doesn't look "lifted" at all. I don't have a rear bumper, but even with sliders and a rear cargo system, the 865s are almost too soft. I only paid $100 for them, and I'm sure I could get that for them if/when I try out the 1.5" heavies.

What did you all pay for the stage 1 icons? Currious how well they do and if they are worth the money. I currently have OME 2.5 heavies, with dual swingout, drawer system and RTT.

I have OME 865 springs and OME torsion bars with Icon 1s and I think you will want heavier springs than that if you load up at all, with the weight of your bumpers. I only have drawers and sliders and the rear sags a lot when loaded for a big trip, though it’s perfect for daily duty. I will be upgrading to a heavier spring when my bumpers go on in a few months.

@custyota: I paid $823 for the Icon 1s in 2015 during the Cyber Monday sale and I think their sales pricing was similar last month. I am in SD too if you ever want to meet up for a test drive.

I too am thinking about the Stage 1 Icons. I have an OME 1.5" Medium lift kit with diff drop and SPC UCAs (also full set of BIOR skid plates and BIOR sliders). Right now I'm running Toyota OEM shocks, the OME Nitro Sports were way too stiff. The Stage 1s seem perfect except that they caution use with aftermarket UCAs. If they're that much longer, it seems like they would be fine since I'm riding OEMs for light off-roading and daily driving?

I have OME 865 springs and OME torsion bars with Icon 1s and I think you will want heavier springs than that if you load up at all, with the weight of your bumpers. I only have drawers and sliders and the rear sags a lot when loaded for a big trip, though it’s perfect for daily duty. I will be upgrading to a heavier spring when my bumpers go on in a few months.

@custyota: I paid $823 for the Icon 1s in 2015 during the Cyber Monday sale and I think their sales pricing was similar last month. I am in SD too if you ever want to meet up for a test drive.
I have the same setup, but with Icon 2's and can also attest to the rear sagging under loaded conditions. A heavier spring is definitely needed in the rear.

Loving my OME 865s, keeps the rear perfect height with the front!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom