Best speedometer correction option (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know it's sort of covered in bits and pieces elsewhere, but I wanted more current opinions.

I just got some Maxxis 255/85 16s about a month ago, and my eventual plan is 35s or 37s. I was wondering what the best options were for speedometer correction? I've seen that Slee used to offer new correction gears, but haven't seen them on their site. I see they sell that "Marks 4wd" speedometer correction 'box'- has anyone had experience with it? I read the install directions and it talks about using a holesaw to install it, which I'm not willing to do just yet.

I like the idea of an adjustable electronic unit, as I'll run at least one or two different tire sizes in the future, but I'd like to use one that is durable and doesn't require a lot of messing with.

Check out Marks 4WD speedo correction at Slee Off Road

Sorry jumped the gun. I do not have personal experience with them but Slee sells good stuff.

I run 37"s over 4.88 gears and it is dead on at any speed. No correction needed. John

Last edited:
^^^^^X2 I have the sealed yellowbox v5 plug and play and it works perfectly.

I have the electronic control box slee sells. Plug and play affair. Ran the wires for the box through the factory hole on the passenger side of the trans tunnel so no cutting required. Works great because you can program a number of different tire sizes if you switch between DD and trail tires and switch with a few clicks.

Dakota Digital SGI-5E. Less than half the cost of Slee and everything is contained within the cab of the truck. Yes, you'll need to splice in for power, ground, and interrupt the speedo signal behind the glove box but IMO that presents less potential problems than running a new box into the interior of the cab through the trans tunnel.

The Toyota part number for the 31-tooth driven gear that Slee used to sell is 33403-69225. It would give you enough correction to be fairly close with the 255/85 tires.

Yellowbox plug and play here. Piece of cake and just over 100 bucks iirc maybe $120. Need to buy 2 more for the other 80's, love a correct speedo

Just checked, $110.85 shipped, for plug n play on their site

Been researching this myself. On my old '78 Bronco, there was a little gear on the cable; change it out and you'd be set. The primary LC options seem to be (in no particular order):

Digital / Electronic & Mechanical Speedo Correction Boxes

and

Official home page of the Yellow Box Speedo Recalibrator

A third one made by Superlift seems to have been discontinued, though I've not confirmed that:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slf-33002

And bloc mentions this one, which is new to me:

Universal Speedometer Signal Interface

As inkpot says, you can do the same thing by changing the gearing, but even if the ratio comes out accurate, that's a bit pricey. Whatever I go with, I surely won't be drilling a hole in my tranny tunnel. In the meantime, I keep an eye on my ScanGauge II (won't work if you're pre-'95), and pretty much know (from using that) what the big dial is trying to say...

Capture.PNG

I've just ordered one of the Marks units and will see how we go. I run 315/75 on stock gearing.

@Luke84
Not to hijack the thread but how do you like the Maxxis tires? I'm assuming you got Bighorns. I was looking at these when the BFG's were sold out.

I like them a lot so far. They are kinda noisy, but I can't really compare them to anything. It definitely takes a little more to get up to highway speeds, but I expected that. I think they look great- I just did the Man-a-fre 30mm spacers on front and rear, and it looks and is a little taller. I feel like it's a little more drifty; I'm not sure if that's a caster thing or just because they are narrower tires. Regardless, I like them. I wish they were cheaper though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom