Best "Solvent" to Remove Weatherstripping? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I went to an automotive paint supply store and got a weatherstrip adhesive remover made by 3M. It works, but required a lot of elbow grease. I think the level of work depends on the hardness/age of the adhesive.

bsevans said:
I went to an automotive paint supply store and got a weatherstrip adhesive remover made by 3M. It works, but required a lot of elbow grease. I think the level of work depends on the hardness/age of the adhesive.

Ditto, and also depends on whether they used yellow or black weatherstrip adhesive. Yellow much more difficult to remove. IIRC
Are you trying to preserve paint? I was not concerned about that and zipped it off with a tufted wire wheel and an angle grinder.
HTH

Ed

Degnol said:
Ditto, and also depends on whether they used yellow or black weatherstrip adhesive. Yellow much more difficult to remove. IIRC
Are you trying to preserve paint? I was not concerned about that and zipped it off with a tufted wire wheel and an angle grinder.
HTH

Ed

Definitely trying to preserve paint!!! :)

Well then you need the 3M stuff, as it does not dissolve paint or rubber.

GL

Ed

X2 on the 3M weatherstrip adhesive remover. It helps to let it soak in and soften up the real old hard stuff and to scrape exess off. This is an excellent all-around cleaner, solvent. Also removes the gaudy decals the PO put on.....
Pete

Pete said:
X2 on the 3M weatherstrip adhesive remover. It helps to let it soak in and soften up the real old hard stuff and to scrape exess off. This is an excellent all-around cleaner, solvent. Also removes the gaudy decals the PO put on.....
Pete

So buy two cans instead of one. The stuff was really designed to remove "fresh" adhesive, but as Pete says, let it soak.

I used acetone and lacquer thinner. The acetone worked best for me and didn't remove the original white paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom