Best solvent to remove silicone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hojack

♠️Project Snowball❄️
Threads
Cascade Foothills above Eagle Creek, Oregon 🇺🇸
I’m looking for the best solvent to remove silicone. The previous owner or shop used silicone on my 3rd member seal to the front differential housing. Just checking suggestions as I’m headed to town and want to get the best/ fastest stuff. Thanks

I've heard WD40 works well, but maybe not fast. I would think acetone or goof-off would take pretty much anything off fairly quick.

The fastest would probably be a scraper, and rolling it off with your fingers....

I scrape off the big pieces then use 3" scotch pads on a small air rotary tool

In this day of age you’d think there would be a product to easily remove the silicone.
In this day and age it’s been made tight and leak proof purposely, eh?

Acetone is 'hotter' than lacquer thinner, so I would still go with the acetone. Unless there's something in lacquer thinner that reacts with the silicone. You could also try xylene, or gun wash. Probably all moot at this point though....get out the scraper.

You know what would be fun? A thread on wrenching our 30 trucks w/ what was only avail 30 years ago. Tho I guess a lot of what we use now was avail then too.

Try doing it without the MUD community....
Oh yeah that’s the big one. Back 10+ years w/ my first truck my ex rebuilt my carb w/ only the fsm. Granted we don’t need need pinheads videos but they sure do come in handy!

I found only razors work. But I also like taking a piece of 1/4 plexiglass and make a 2 x 4 roughly sized scrapper out of it. Sharpen on a belt sander and it can scrape without scratching the surface.

A wire brush also works. I found the toughest stuff to remove is the dried paper sealed used all over our trucks. So silicon might be easier.

I found only razors work. But I also like taking a piece of 1/4 plexiglass and make a 2 x 4 roughly sized scrapper out of it. Sharpen on a belt sander and it can scrape without scratching the surface.

A wire brush also works. I found the toughest stuff to remove is the dried paper sealed used all over our trucks. So silicon might be easier.
The small plexiglass ice scrapers are a great garage tool too. And I made a wood scraper out of a thin strip of maple by sanding down one end on both sides.

WD40 IS a WATER DISPLACEMENT !!

I Use BG carb cleaner in 1/2hr between squirts , when you see it raise , it's getting ready , remove the mass with blades first.
VT

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom