1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best snow and ice tires

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by kjmeyer, Jan 31, 2004.

1. kjmeyer

kjmeyer

I'm looking for your opinions on what you think is the best snow and ice tire for your FJ40. I have a 71 40 that currently has BFG Mud Terrains, 33/12.50/15 and they really suck in the snow and ice. I've heard going narrower to something like 33/9.50/15 will improve my situation.

I know the rearend of the 40 is very light. I tried two 5 gallon Jerry cans full of gas behind the bench seat, but still not happy with traction.

What tire and size would you recommend.

2. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Packed snowy, icy roads, or deep off road snow? For packed snowy roads the BEST snow/ice tires are Nokian Hakkapeliitta's. I think the biggest are about 31x10.5.

http://www.nokiantires.com

For deep snow it's a little different.

3. 73fj

73fj Tho at sumbitch in ayer!

Media:
    Albums:
    yokohama geolanders,best all round tire ive ever used.and wouldnt it be better to put some sandbags behind your seat? :eek: two jerry cans only weigh about 80 lbs.not to mention the smell and large ignition source. :beer:

4. kjmeyer

kjmeyer

Yooper, thanks for the info.

73FJ, I needed the two Jerry cans due to a trip distance. I cleaned them up real good so vapor smell wasn't a factor. I try to be as safety conscience as possible. The sandbags were in the wifes truck. Guess I need to make some more, huh? Good suggestion.

5. 3_puppies

3_puppies SILVER Star

could you have your tires siped. should help, and cheaper than a new set of tires

6. Romer

Romer fatherofdaughterofromer Moderator

Sipping makes a big difference. I have the BFG AT KO's and am very happy with them. With the short wheel base and light back end, no tire is going to help defy the laws of physics. I bought 3 80 pound sand "tubes" at a hardware store that I put in the back. Makes a big difference.

The very best thing is to qoute Dirt Harry, "A mans gotta know his limitations." Knowing the FJ40 isn't the best on ice and goinf slower, keeping plenty of room in front of you is the best thing you can do.

7. hammerhead

hammerhead

When I lived at the ski-resort I favored 33 x 9.50 x 15 BFG All-terrains. Siping works good too. If you have an auto-locker in the rear yank it out of there for a higher level of control.

8. toddslater

toddslater

I like the Pirelli Scorpion AT's for an all around good street/snow/rain and mod off pavement tire. Heard good things about the Geolander as well. Like Romer and others have said...you can't defy physics... not for long anyway.

9. amandap

amandap

We've been running Green Diamond tires on a few trucks for the past few years and love them. They cost only $200 for a set for the Tacoma. Theys are a retread with tungsten carbide chips built in the tread. A bit howly, but I have never had a better snow/ice tire. greendiamond.com they ship from North Dakota I think-maybe south? hth

10. lovetoski

lovetoski SILVER Star

siping is cheap

As others have said, siping works in the snow and ice (rain too). It's about 10-12 per tire here in Seattle.

11. rusmannx

rusmannx

skinny's suck on the ice.... it's like riding on skates.

12. amandap

amandap

Hope I do it correctly this time! Sorry for the bad address on those Green Diamond Tires. I'll try to put a link in.

13. amandap

amandap

:-\
    ok so I'm kinda dumb about this stuff. Their address now is www.greendiamondtires.com if anyone cares to check 'em out. :whoops:

14. hammerhead

hammerhead

[quote author=rusmannx link=board=1;threadid=10832;start=msg97375#msg97375 date=1075582783]
    skinny's suck on the ice.... it's like riding on skates.
    [/quote]Let me clue you in...skinnys suck, fattys suck, everything sucks on ice but studs and chains and even they have limitations. It just takes a different driving style and a lot less speed.

15. kjmeyer

kjmeyer

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

16. yooper

yooper SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=amandap link=board=1;threadid=10832;start=msg97387#msg97387 date=1075585830]
    :-\
    ok so I'm kinda dumb about this stuff. Their address now is www.greendiamondtires.com if anyone cares to check 'em out. :whoops:
    [/quote]

Actually it's http://greendiamondtire.com/ ;)

17. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

Everyone will have a tire they prefer....

Last winter I ran 3 different sets...BFG At KO's, TrXus MT's and Super Swamper SSR's.

On plowed roads with a decent pack of snow the AT's were good, but the TrXus were GREAT....the SSR's were average (big lugs but siped from interco)

Once off road in teh deep stuff, I found the AT's useless, but teh TrXus still GREAT, the SSR's were average.

End of the winter I was more impressed with the TrXus than with any other.

18. cavsfj40

cavsfj40

learn to drive like an ice rally racer and just drift the turns. i tried once and ended up going backwards at 50mph through a cornfield in a subaru. michelin arctic alpins are pretty solid. i second the hakkapelitas. stupid name/great tire

19. IironSika

IironSika

Experiences from Finland, the land of snow and ice :D:
    IMO the best over all winter tires, including icy and snowy roads and off road situations, are Good Year MT/R´s and BF Track Edge´s. If only road manners matters, the Hakkapeliitta´s are good choice. Only bad thing with BF´s and Hakkapeliitta´s is limited sizes, only up to about 32". I personally bought 33" MT/R´s a while ago and went wheeling with them first time last weekend and traction was far better than any Swamper or Hakkapeliitta had.

Mikko

20. dylan

dylan

any mud tire sucks on ice and hard packed snow period. bridgestone winter duelers are the absolute best studless ice tire hands down (only up to 31" tall)