Best shock for "high-speed offroading" on a 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While rock crawling may be some peoples desires, its not mine. I'm curious what options there are that would work best on an armored(front, rear, sliders, skids) & loaded (drawers, roofrack and junk in the trunk) 100 offroad at higher speeds. Not Baja getting massive air type stuff, but more then 40 offroad for sure.

Would the bilsteins be a better choice over the OME setup? Or would a full blown setup with remote res's be the best choice?

While rock crawling may be some peoples desires, its not mine. I'm curious what options there are that would work best on an armored(front, rear, sliders, skids) & loaded (drawers, roofrack and junk in the trunk) 100 offroad at higher speeds. Not Baja getting massive air type stuff, but more then 40 offroad for sure.

Would the bilsteins be a better choice over the OME setup? Or would a full blown setup with remote res's be the best choice?

This ought to stir you know who up: But Billy 7100/9100, Fox/King, etc. with remotes for the ultimate in high speed off-road control and performance. If I had to do it over again I'd run 2.5" instead of my current 2" with the adjustable remotes in the rear (you'll have to do custom mounts for any of these though) along with the 2" in front to preserve what little travel the 100 offers up front. Contact Carl as I think he has Fox 2" for OEM install position...but you'll want to get them revalved for the weight of a modded hundy.

yup he has the OEM-install-type Foxes last time I emailed him. So the bilstein remotes also require custom mounting?

I have a buddy who builds ralley cars .evo/sti stuff and they have some crazzy shocks i bet you could use or mod for speed i just dont know about under load /rack full o stuff etc.
ill shoot him a call and see what he has to say .
Cant wate to see what you all think up next.:D

yup he has the OEM-install-type Foxes last time I emailed him. So the bilstein remotes also require custom mounting?

Yes. FWIW: I bent the upper OEM rear shock mount cruisin' around on OME's. Stud type mounts really aren't ideal for best performance IMO. A modded hundy is easily 6,200-6,500lbs plus gear (bumpers, winch AO drawers, recovery gear, etc). If you are going to cruise off-road you really want/need the extra fluid capacity of a remote system. And it is imperative, since there isn't an off-the shelf dialed shock system for hundy's, you get shocks that can be revalved to get the most out of your investment.

I'd say my truck is at least 6100lbs with a full tank of gas and nothing loaded inside, and I dont have the rack, skids or drawers yet...i cant imagine how much more the curb weight will get up to. Thats why I'm looking to see what the best options are for offroad (and of course onroad also, but I dont mind a rough ride).

Jonah, if your buddy has anything fun for a 06 WRX laying around send it over to MY buddies house ;)

isnt there anyone from japan on this site that may be able to access toyota auto body and see what they did for the 100 they used in the dakar races??? I think that would be the best bet b/c the testing work was done for you; the parts might be expensice but i think better to pay for something thats been doen and tested then getting something cheap and having to replace it.

but they are still done by toyota and the parts did seem to be bolt on types yes?? also what about that french site eagle16 or something like that i think they had a simlar set up to the fox

but they are still done by toyota and the parts did seem to be bolt on types yes?? also what about that french site eagle16 or something like that i think they had a simlar set up to the fox

Again, they're not made by Toyota. The parts are not "bolt on". Think Toyota body and motor - that's about it on some of them. The French truck was likely someone competing in a lower class (lower budget), if it was a Dakar truck.

Back on topic, I had the OME LTR's on my 80 when I bought it. I really liked the ride. I didn't get why they were called LTR (long travel) as their travel was identical to the normal OME shocks. Also, the fittings on the shock and resevoir rusted to crap pretty fast.

We really need a inside connection with Toyota Auto Body. Those guys crushed DAKAR for 3 years in a row in a 100 series. I would like to know all about the mods to the trucks. We also need a sticker that states, "100 Series - 3 Year in a Row Champion - Paris-Dakar".

I do not think the mods are that crazy on production trucks.

Definitely remote resevoir for high speed as it helps with heat build up with that sort of travel.

I was under the impression that the Dakar 100 series Cruisers were more of a stock build compared to some of the full out race trucks that are built for that event. Aren't they competiting in T1? Which is production vehicle. chttp://www.toyota.com.kw/English/toyota_models/landcruiser/history/html/worldwide/dakar_rally.html

Huh, well I've been totally in the dark on that. I thought they were racing in the more unlimited classes. Looks like Team Araco is pretty damn good.

Well, they look lifted, maybe a 33" tire. Wheels look similar to those one aftermarket VTO rims.

Last edited:
That site is sweet. The LC rocks the Dakar.

I borrowed the link for my signature. THe accomplishments in production class are incredible.

Last edited:
The dakar trucks are made to win the race, and they can swap parts part-way thru. Sure it works great in a racing environment but for long lasting endurance maybe race suspension might not be the best Idea. The Dakar vehicles have modified shocks and such, its not COMPLETELY off the production however things like long travel and such are not allowed in the class that toyota competes in. Besides, our trucks weigh way more then the race trucks that are gutted and have stock bumpers and such, so what may work for those trucks might not for us. Although that could just be a valving issue.

I'd get those Ironman or Ironwhatever brand T-bars for sure. They're another mm in diameter and will help.

There's several other things other than just thickness that come into play - steel composition, manufacturing processes, load rates, etc. OME t-bars may be a higher tensile steel or Ironman may be forged instead of cast, and so on.

There's several other things other than just thickness that come into play - steel composition, manufacturing processes, load rates, etc. OME t-bars may be a higher tensile steel or Ironman may be forged instead of cast, and so on.

Give it up. This is old news.

Ironman -- Stiffest
Sway-A-Way -- Stiff
OME -- Medium-Stiff
OEM -- Soft

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom