Best Selling Colors for Resto (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pirateslair.com
I'm slowly restoring my wifes '71 '40 and it was originally white. The previous owner shabbily painted it red. But as I add parts back to it I'm not very happy with all the shiny emblems on a half-a$$ed red paint job. So eventually I'll cross that bridge of what will be the best color for that final day of sale. The original white or a popular color? Any ideas, opinions or experience? White is not that interesting to me but value for time expended is.
IMG_0171.jpg

Go with an original color. A good Freeborn Red (T-309) paint job looks great.

53563_319d9cc879_low_res.jpg

Last edited:
My favorite three are 643 Olive, Dune beige, and mustard yellow. I prefer stock colors but whatever you do don't go anything with metal flake.

I would say, dune beige, freeborn red, mustard yellow and olive brown. In that order. I like yellow and olive the best. There is a great blue from the 60's or early 70's that is real nice too, but I don't know what it's called.

x2 on original color if your are looking to get the most money out of it when you decide to sell. cant wait to get mine back to original rustic green

i was thinking about this today... honestly... I think it has more to do with what year/model 40 it is than the color paint job.

I would say, dune beige, freeborn red, mustard yellow and olive brown. In that order. I like yellow and olive the best. There is a great blue from the 60's or early 70's that is real nice too, but I don't know what it's called.

capri blue

I would stick with an original colour ... I didn't care what colour the truck was when I was buying a 40 and ended with beige ... Freeborn Red is my favourite, and Olive is a close second ...
:)

Regarding Painting : Hello, this is my very first post here on Mud.

I'm right now in the process of Stage 3 renovating my '79 FJ40. Currently, there's nothing on the chassis, and the front apron is removed from the rest of the barren tub. The '40 was painted by a previous owner a Metallic Blue-Green Jade (was originally the Sky Blue from that year). Being inside & out Metallic, it actually looks Fantastic - and is in Great condition (has been in our garages & not driven for 20-years).

Question 1: I'm intending to coat the entire inside floorboard (and rear, upper wheel-wells) with Herculiner. But more so, I'm planning to coat the entire UNDERSIDE of the tub with the Herculiner - AS WELL AS the ENTIRE CHASSIS. - - What complications might I be facing?

Question 2 : Although I'm not intending to change its (pretty) Jade color, do you foresee the Metallic paint being problematic for North Georgia Trail use? (I'm not intending to take this FJ40 in heavy mudding or rock-climbing).

Thanks for your insight & suggestions.
Skydog.

FWIW, I think that the best paint job is one that you like-original or not.
Dune beige is my favorite stock color. My second favorite is the cygnus white that mine is.
If you don't like any stock color, do whatever you like.
IMG_0392.jpg

funy my story was the same

My truck was originally white painted a bad red by a PO.
I went with Beige as my restoration but painted everything on the color change.
There is no white to be found on the truck at all.
Go with the color you want. I always thought beige and green were the best colors.

unless you plan to sell it right away paint it what you like. An original color is more desirable but does not matter that much unless you are going back to 100% factory restoration. And the plates in 71 I do not think documents the factory color of that vehicle does it? Either way the value difference will be minimal and having a color you love will be much more valuable to you.

i was thinking about this today... honestly... I think it has more to do with what year/model 40 it is than the color paint job.

this is 100% correct. an early truck (1970) will never bring what a later model truck will bring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom