Best route to Moab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to Cruise Moab in May and being that I've never driven there before, wanted to see what you guys think is the best / easiest route to take while towing my 40. I'm thinking I20 to Roscoe then taking Hwy 84 through Lubbock then onto Clovis, Fort Sumner and Vaughn. From here I was thinking going North into Santa Fe and staying the night here. Then wake up and go North to Durango then head west to Moab. This may not be the best route and if someone has a better idea, let me know.

Also, is anyone else going?

Nick

Last edited:
usually, I take 35 to 380, 380 to 277, 277 to 40, 40 to New Mexico, then there are options... if you want quick, go via ABQ. If you want scenic, head up through Santa Fe, and north to Pagosa Springs then Pagosa to Durango, then Durango to Moab.
Going, leaving Tuesday night, or Wednesday morning, driving straight through. See you there??

usually, I take 35 to 380, 380 to 277, 277 to 40, 40 to New Mexico, then there are options... if you want quick, go via ABQ. If you want scenic, head up through Santa Fe, and north to Pagosa Springs then Pagosa to Durango, then Durango to Moab.
Going, leaving Tuesday night, or Wednesday morning, driving straight through. See you there??

Be careful going through small towns in Texas. Lots of local Barney five cops. Got a speeding ticket in Quanah, TX before.

287 through Wichita Falls to Amarillo.

I'll I-40 going west. North on 491 (past Gallop, NM) through Cortez, Colorado. Stay on 491 until you get to 191 in Utah. Go north until Moab.

287 through Wichita Falls to Amarillo.

I'll I-40 going west. North on 491 (past Gallop, NM) through Cortez, Colorado. Stay on 491 until you get to 191 in Utah. Go north until Moab.

+1, that's the way I go.

I'm kinda leaning towards the 491 through Cortez. Would you say it is a more "flat" route vs going up through Sante Fe, seems like it would be. I'm just thinking ease of travel through the up and downs of the mountains while towing 7000lbs behind me and save a little on gas. I'm probably going to be going around 65 the entire way max.

nick

Yep. Cortez is the flattest route, and fastest (plus, if you bring a mountain bike, you can hit Phil's World, which I hear is stellar!). Santa Fe is the scenic option.. And yeah, when the speed limit changes, make sure you are on it, or they will get you.
Yes. I am bringing the mountain bike, There will be some riding, at least one day. Then TLCA related stuff, then might stay an extra day or two, thanks to less job responsibilities at this time... we'll see... :)

Yep. Cortez is the flattest route, and fastest (plus, if you bring a mountain bike, you can hit Phil's World, which I hear is stellar!). Santa Fe is the scenic option.. And yeah, when the speed limit changes, make sure you are on it, or they will get you.
Yes. I am bringing the mountain bike, There will be some riding, at least one day. Then TLCA related stuff, then might stay an extra day or two, thanks to less job responsibilities at this time... we'll see... :)

I'll bring my bike. I had thought about it, but wasn't sure how many other folks did. We are going to be camping at Slick Rock #76

Nick

Amarillo......Albuquerque.....US 550N to Cortez Co...to Moab.

Done this route twice with the Red Dodge and 2 cruisers on the trailer, only hills that are a PITA is Albuquerque........

Last edited:
Amarillo......Albuquerque.....US 550N to Cortez Co...to Moab.

Done this route twice with the Red Dodge and 2 cruisers on the trailer, only hills that are a PITA is Albuquerque........

Butch,

How is the road on US 550? Looks like a shorter distance than going to Gallop.

Charles

Nick turned us on to it, turns out there is a nuclear storage/dump up there so the road is interstate quality or better......

Butch,

How is the road on US 550? Looks like a shorter distance than going to Gallop.

Charles

It is a good road, but it has a lot of pretty steep hills if that is a bother. I'll go that way if driving the FJC but my 40 likes the Gallup way better.

Was pulling a heavy a$$ load, i do not recall ever having any that kicked my a$$...........my rig grossed 28,500 lbs

It is a good road, but it has a lot of pretty steep hills if that is a bother. I'll go that way if driving the FJC but my 40 likes the Gallup way better.

Thanks for the info. Hills are not an issue.

100% go through 550 and Farmington. It is a VERY good and fast road. It is way out of the way to go all the way to Gallup. I have been both ways before they finished the road from Albu to Farmington when it was Hwy 666.

Through Santa Fe is pretty but very, very slow.

Leaving in the morning for Moab. Should be fun, probably going to spend the night in Farmington, then wake up and head the rest of the way to Moab.

2011-05-01_18-33-08_271.jpg

See you there!

Thanks Trent!

Nick

Yup, take lots of pictures!

Even though Nick has already left, I will throw my .02 in. Hwy 491 isn't the best quality, being a reservation road. Certainly flat compared to some of the other options I have driven but constant up and down swells in the road. There are lots of pull offs if you need to sleep for a few hours(certainly large enough for a truck and trailer) and minimal traffic. 550 use to be pretty bad but it makes since what Texican said, since it's really nice now.

Hwy 491 isn't the best quality, being a reservation road.

That would explain why you always see people (Indians) walking in the middle of nowhere....

Just downloaded the new app! I took the 550 to cortez route after Albuquerque. I ended up spending the night in Farmington in the Walmart parking lot in the back seat of the tundra. I think it was about 18.5 hours total and right at 1000 miles. Planning on leaving here Sunday morning.

Its been a freakin blast!!! Did Fins and Things on Thursday and Hells Revenge today.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom