1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Roof Rack?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by NJFJ40, Nov 12, 2003.

1. NJFJ40

NJFJ40

Looking for a good quality multi-purpose roof rack for my '80 FJ40. Any advice and reccommendations would be appreciated. Expect some trail use and shouldn't need to load much more than 200lbs or so. Don't plan to mount any gas/water cans or spare tire up there. Mainly for luggage, Mt Bikes, and skis. Prefer a mesh floor but not a requirement.

Kaymar's look to have a good design with the solid bar that disperses weight across the whole rain gutter. Kind of pricey though. Safari, Wilderness, and Con Ferr are the others I've seen widely used.

Andrew

2. residualboulders

residualboulders

Media:
    Albums:
    I too have been on the search for a decent rack. I have a thule on the wifes car that is great. I've used it a bit on the cruiser, but its a little too contemporary for the nostalgia of a landcruiser in my opinion. It'd be nice to get a nice looking safari type rack, with the possibility of using all the attachements I'm used to on the Thule.

3. pvaman

pvaman

i saw one mentioned on another board -- made by a guy in AZ. let me see if i can find it.

4. pvaman

pvaman

5. Landpimp

Landpimp

Media:
    Been happy with my Winderness on my fj80, loaded(over) the crap out of it

If looking for another, I would look at Kaymar/Tradsman, Wilderness or Hanibal(not for a 40 don't think) Seen rust problem on the newish Con Fers(maybe they have it corrected?)

John H

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">