Best ride quality lift kit for 60/62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yes. They work with OEM. Great upgrade.
in your opinion is it wise to replace my spring packs too? As I said it was converted to ARB OME 2" lift kit in 2010/11. Now the ride is super harsh and shakes the entire vehicle when I go over potholes or any bumps. I can easily get the whole dobinsons kit for $2500 and replace the aging spring packs? Still cheaper then converting to 80 series coil springs and axles (20k). Is it worth it to change spring packs or am I just wasting my money and I will get the most bang for my buck with the shocks alone?

in your opinion is it wise to replace my spring packs too? As I said it was converted to ARB OME 2" lift kit in 2010/11. Now the ride is super harsh and shakes the entire vehicle when I go over potholes or any bumps. I can easily get the whole dobinsons kit for $2500 and replace the aging spring packs? Still cheaper then converting to 80 series coil springs and axles (20k). Is it worth it to change spring packs or am I just wasting my money and I will get the most bang for my buck with the shocks alone?

Well you may just need new bushings and shocks. Many people don’t grease OME bushings with the proper grease and they die.

Depends on miles.

But I will say the Dobinsons setup rides great for leaf springs.

FWIW I also went with the full Dobinsons kit with the IMS shocks, super happy with the ride. For the money I wish they'd supply the centering bolts & shims though. Kit isn't exactly "complete" without that stuff.

I'm looking for a suspension kit that best checks these boxes.

1. Comfortable ride. Obviously it's a 60 and will never ride as smooth as a 100, but man our 60 feels like a go-cart without any suspension haha.
  2. Lift of 2.5in to 3in. Or thereabouts.
  3. Cleanly fitting 33x10.5 tires for a just slightly modified look.
  4. Readily available/in stock so we can get it installed quickly.
  5. Can support a rear bumper with tire carrier, and front bumper with winch.

Would appreciate any recommendations of suspension kits with which you all have experience!
Random google pic for attention!

1985_toyota_land_cruiser_fj60_1543871001815a87f9421ca27dMVIMG_20181121_154627-940x635.jpg
66FB76EA-057D-4436-8DB6-E689D98B2D21.jpeg

OME MEDIUM. 33x10.5. The suspension is great!

They are the same design as Rough Country. A few highly arched heavy springs.

I would place them at the bottom of the barrel.
thanks for this - I totally get this now - less layers, heavily arched to carry the load so a big change in force through the range of motion. I am glad I asked, this probably saved me from a mistake....

FWIW I also went with the full Dobinsons kit with the IMS shocks, super happy with the ride. For the money I wish they'd supply the centering bolts & shims though. Kit isn't exactly "complete" without that stuff.
When you say centering bolts and shims, are you referring to the centering bushing and caster shims?

Wow surprised those are not already on the leaf pack! Curious if this is like this on all kits or just yours.

I was leaning towards the Dobinsons, but thinking a one stop shop with Cruiser Outfitters and OME might be the easiest route.

I am ordering terrain tamer parabolic leaf springs
This will be my next suspension set-up too. Currently Lovells springs, and Koni shocks. This combination is great for towing and when my 190L diesel tank is full, but harsh when lightly loaded. I will keep the Koni shocks but am so keen on the newly released parabolics….

Wow surprised those are not already on the leaf pack! Curious if this is like this on all kits or just yours.

I was leaning towards the Dobinsons, but thinking a one stop shop with Cruiser Outfitters and OME might be the easiest route.
I would have done that but OME didn't really have any shock options besides the standard. Which I haven't used, but those that do have them typically say "meh", so therefore I went with the IMS from Dobinsons which I think are pretty stellar so far. Comparable ride to my IFS truck with ICON coilovers, which I think is saying something. Time will tell on their reliability, however, they're rebuildable so that's also a plus.

I would have done that but OME didn't really have any shock options besides the standard. Which I haven't used, but those that do have them typically say "meh", so therefore I went with the IMS from Dobinsons which I think are pretty stellar so far. Comparable ride to my IFS truck with ICON coilovers, which I think is saying something. Time will tell on their reliability, however, they're rebuildable so that's also a plus.

They are legit. I’ve had zero issues with anything Dobinsons

Great postings with a host of on-and-off road first hand owner commentary. I’ve ridden on OME SUSPENSIONS FOR THE PAST 25-30 YEARS and can honestly give a thumbs-up based on my existing platform and needs. BUT, I have yet to experience the Dobinson full suspension (shock/spring) upgrade. Does anyone have a comment on the “left leaning“ rear spring issue frequently encountered when installing the OME’s compared to the Dobin’s. I’ve heard all the professional jargon over the past three decades as to why this condition exists when fitting the OME‘s and quite frankly still have difficulty understanding why this condition exists in the first place, let alone, continues to be an area of concern when purchasing OME’s. (Sorry, I can deal with the “A” plus “B” sides but if I still need an “add-a-leaf”, well, it becomes a PITA after dishing out what I consider a sizable investment in a well made product). All the above to ask the simple question of…”is the rear left lean still an issue with the Dobinson’s“, based on a simple, non off road, stock platform?

The rear Dobinsons 60 springs are marked left and right. The fronts are not. I’m assuming they have some extra tension built into the left rear. None of the ones I’ve done lean noticeably

Great postings with a host of on-and-off road first hand owner commentary. I’ve ridden on OME SUSPENSIONS FOR THE PAST 25-30 YEARS and can honestly give a thumbs-up based on my existing platform and needs. BUT, I have yet to experience the Dobinson full suspension (shock/spring) upgrade. Does anyone have a comment on the “left leaning“ rear spring issue frequently encountered when installing the OME’s compared to the Dobin’s. I’ve heard all the professional jargon over the past three decades as to why this condition exists when fitting the OME‘s and quite frankly still have difficulty understanding why this condition exists in the first place, let alone, continues to be an area of concern when purchasing OME’s. (Sorry, I can deal with the “A” plus “B” sides but if I still need an “add-a-leaf”, well, it becomes a PITA after dishing out what I consider a sizable investment in a well made product). All the above to ask the simple question of…”is the rear left lean still an issue with the Dobinson’s“, based on a simple, non off road, stock platform?
The rear springs are left/right specific, but they also have a "spacer leaf" built into them, so you would flip that to the other leaf pack if needed to alter the ride height, or remove one to adjust the height on one side only. So it gives you adjustment without needing to buy more parts. You can see it in the attached photo

1668529739962.png

WhatsApp Image 2022-11-15 at 10.59.32 AM.jpeg

Just ordered the shocks only so replacing my OME shocks that are 12 years old. Keeping my OME leaf springs. I will report back the ride quality and difference. I have been driving on the OME shocks for years. They are stiff and make the entire truck shake when I hit any bump. They are harsh. Hoping the Dobinsons shocks are much more forgiving.

Just ordered the shocks only so replacing my OME shocks that are 12 years old. Keeping my OME leaf springs. I will report back the ride quality and difference. I have been driving on the OME shocks for years. They are stiff and make the entire truck shake when I hit any bump. They are harsh. Hoping the Dobinsons shocks are much more forgiving.

Are you swapping out the 12 year OME bushings too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom