Best replacement transfer case? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gentlemen, I have a Chevy 350 with a 350A/T in my 1965 FJ40. I still have the original 3 spd transfer case. It screams at me going down the road over 50mph. What have any of you put in as a sturdy off road but still good for highway solution?

Do they make a 350a/t to split case adaptor?

Jake's idea is solid, the split case is much mo better. However, i'd go right to a NP205 or an Atlas then do a centered rear end.

If you do an Atlas the adapter is really short - only about an inch long so you will have the best driveshaft length and angles.

Call Advance Adapters and ask for Vic. He is a really solid guy - George Ester at Valley Hybrids would be an ideal source as well and is also a totally reliable and solid vendor.

If you do the 205 it's cheaper and bolts up to the trans you have with factory adapters but then you will spend money on the rear. You can do a centered mini truck and Cruiser hybrid axle with a cruiser center and mini shafts or you can run a mini truck rear with a stronger V6 third. I'd run a narrowed nine inch with a CV shaft.

PS when running the same setup you have I switched to Lucas oil and it really ran a lot quieter.

Have you thought of just rebuilding the tcase?
There are many options and they all depend on your goals for the truck.
Weekend blue trail wheeler and street driver, or neighborhood queen/ice cream getter, or serious wheeler with street manners, or trailer queen hard core trail rig...

Weekend blue trail wheeler and street driver, or neighborhood queen/ice cream getter, or serious wheeler with street manners, or trailer queen hard core trail rig...

Occam's razor = good approach - often the simplest solution a problem is the correct one. The issue that I had was the output shaft on the adapter was new and in the gear it meshed inside the tranfercase was worn in so it made a nice howl going down the road because a new part was mixing with an old part. IIRC that is how AA explained it. The Lucas really did help though. The reality is that Stump is right and the case could probably use a rebuild.

It will be mainly street, beach, snow and a few trips on the trails with you all. You know how much I work. It won't see a huge amount of hard core action.
The loud howl at 40+ is driving my wife nuts and unnerves me.

Jake's idea is solid, the split case is much mo better. However, i'd go right to a NP205 or an Atlas then do a centered rear end.

If you do an Atlas the adapter is really short - only about an inch long so you will have the best driveshaft length and angles.

Call Advance Adapters and ask for Vic. He is a really solid guy - George Ester at Valley Hybrids would be an ideal source as well and is also a totally reliable and solid vendor.

If you do the 205 it's cheaper and bolts up to the trans you have with factory adapters but then you will spend money on the rear. You can do a centered mini truck and Cruiser hybrid axle with a cruiser center and mini shafts or you can run a mini truck rear with a stronger V6 third. I'd run a narrowed nine inch with a CV shaft.
It would be years before I could afford to do all of that. A split case was mentioned before. If a rebuild could tame the howl I'd be okay but I want to be able to drive it at highway speeds and not sound like an explosion is eminent.

The case may be streached. No mater how much rebuilding it may still wine.

What helped mine was taking the top off. The noise has a place to go then!!

The case may be streached. No mater how much rebuilding it may still wine.

What helped mine was taking the top off. The noise has a place to go then!!

Mine did not get any quieter after a full rebuild - I neglected to mention that....I even used all Toyota parts which was very $$$$

The pre-split case is the achilles heel of the FJ40. Broken Birfield is an pretty straight forward fix where the alum TC is weak compared to what was used in American trucks - even Jeeps have much stronger cases. Blasphemy, I know....

I should have explained the fix better.

The top I took off was the roof. With no soft or hard top the wine is almost unnoticeable!!!

Jakes40 - How is that 6.0 holding up? My buddy Johhny just bought one in an F450 and is giving it the once over. GLTHFJ60 here on mud

I can't speak for a 40, but when I bought my 62 it sounded like I was driving around with a hornets nest under my feet. When I pulled the transfer case apart I found that the bearings that the idler gear rode on the idler shaft had gone, and the both the gear and the shaft were toast. A rebuild solved the howl. I should say though that transfer cases always make noise, even when new I imagine.

Jakes40 - How is that 6.0 holding up? My buddy Johhny just bought one in an F450 and is giving it the once over. GLTHFJ60 here on mud

So far so good! But it has its issues. I have a couple bad injectors, and I think a leak in the Hi-pressure oil pump. It just doesn't run like it should. Going in for major repairs/ mods after Christmas. Head studs, EGR delete and repairs to bring her back to life and reliability.

I should have explained the fix better.

The top I took off was the roof. With no soft or hard top the wine is almost unnoticeable!!!
I concur, but it is about to go back on this week. Now I need to fix it or move to FL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom