Best replacement radiator for the money today... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just replaced my fan clutch and shroud. While in there took notice of lots of dried coolant all along the top of the radiator where metal meets plastic.

64A1FF37-EFCD-4571-8799-9F5132039565.jpeg
BE551EA7-36EB-4DA0-8926-A7696D4DD092.jpeg

So needless to say looks like I’m in for a replacement radiator.

My question is the distinction between these two OEM pn’s

16400-50360​

16400-50290​

-50360 shows as correct pn for my 2002. But will the -50290 fit my truck?

Which is the better made radiator? Is 50290 same as the original radiators that came on the 03-07 trucks? Or is it another example of a lesser quality part now sold as oem.

I’m not concerned really about greater cooling performance, as much as I want the best made highest quality part I can put on the truck to last hopefully the same amount of time the original one has.

Both fit all 100 series. Both are made to Toyota standards and quality should be the same. Both look the same.
It's my understanding, it's about the environmental standards use in manufacture processes of metals & plastics. Which the 06-07 have many environmental consideration in the manufacture processes used, and the engineering of engine (4.7L 2UZ-fe VVT). Basically the 06-up have less environmental impact from cradle to grave. Which was part of a USA EPA mandate beginning in 2005 to reduce pollution in manufacturing process.

It's been said: there's a difference in fins between them. Which I can not see, just by looking at them with a glance.

I am a proponent of using distilled water ONLY (no municipal water etc.), and have seen several discussions on here about this issue (and I know that @2001LC is a proponent as well) but I haven't seen any mention of what I consider to be the biggest problem with the use of tap water: electrolysis in the cooling system. Distilled water will conduct *much* less electricity than will municipal water (which contains dissolved salts etc.), and older engines are more likely to have corroded electrical paths that impedes the return of current via the battery ground.

I'm convinced that (as an example) head gasket issues in the 2.5l Subaru engines are due to electrolysis, and it seems that Subaru engineers thought so as well because my wife's '13 Legacy has about fifteen ground straps from the engine to the chassis.

While I don't hear about this particular problem with the 2UZ-FE motors (there may be different current ground paths that prevents this issue from happening inside this particular engine), electrolysis is a possible threat to the longevity of any motor, and tap water permits the problem.

Curious to hear if anyone has any experience with electrolysis, in any vehicle. It's not something that most techs look for, that's for sure.

I am a proponent of using distilled water ONLY (no municipal water etc.), and have seen several discussions on here about this issue (and I know that @2001LC is a proponent as well) but I haven't seen any mention of what I consider to be the biggest problem with the use of tap water: electrolysis in the cooling system. Distilled water will conduct *much* less electricity than will municipal water (which contains dissolved salts etc.), and older engines are more likely to have corroded electrical paths that impedes the return of current via the battery ground.

I'm convinced that (as an example) head gasket issues in the 2.5l Subaru engines are due to electrolysis, and it seems that Subaru engineers thought so as well because my wife's '13 Legacy has about fifteen ground straps from the engine to the chassis.

While I don't hear about this particular problem with the 2UZ-FE motors (there may be different current ground paths that prevents this issue from happening inside this particular engine), electrolysis is a possible threat to the longevity of any motor, and tap water permits the problem.

Curious to hear if anyone has any experience with electrolysis, in any vehicle. It's not something that most techs look for, that's for sure.
Cheers , I agree with you point but I think electrolysis plays into bad battery and cable maintenance thus the whole subaru headgasket debacle. Tap water has minerals and the minerals destroy the bearings and seals of water pumps... Call Gates and ask them. The leading failure of their pumps is seal failure from tap water being mixed with coolant.

So I just installed a new oem radiator. Went with pn 16400-50360 for my 2002 truck. Was pleasantly surprised to see the radiator stamped “Japan” when I opened box to inspect. With all the talk of a Mexican spec oem radiator I assumed the radiator would be made in Mexico?? Either way fit was perfect and came with new foam.

0217D3DC-57B1-4BD6-B4A1-33B2058B610E.jpeg

D953C83C-293D-4A71-8F00-423827A94B54.jpeg

I believe the Mexico Soec radiator has a larger capacity, similar to the GCC spec radiator.

is it possible to get a PH reading on colored coolant with regular pool test strips? I'm thinking not.

So I just installed a new oem radiator. Went with pn 16400-50360 for my 2002 truck. Was pleasantly surprised to see the radiator stamped “Japan” when I opened box to inspect. With all the talk of a Mexican spec oem radiator I assumed the radiator would be made in Mexico?? Either way fit was perfect and came with new foam.

View attachment 3109883
View attachment 3109884
Care to share the link where you ordered it? Thanks

I believe the Mexico Soec radiator has a larger capacity, similar to the GCC spec radiator.
Don't spread a rumor GCC spec radiators have larger capacity.... even though they may. In GCC, you can get a manual transmission and the corresponding radiator does not have a transmission heater/cooler integrated into the radiator. So, yes, slightly more capacity... but not the whole story.

Don't spread a rumor GCC spec radiators have larger capacity.... even though they may. In GCC, you can get a manual transmission and the corresponding radiator does not have a transmission heater/cooler integrated into the radiator. So, yes, slightly more capacity... but not the whole story.
First google result corroborates what the specs have always shown :)

Well, I suppose there can be some truth to that with cars in general. But I just checked.... The 2003 GCC, 2UZJ, auto transmission 100 has the same radiator (16400-50211) as the 2003 European 100 and Japanese Cygnus 2UZJ, auto.

Anyone knows if this radiator is bad from the looks of it? Are those dark spots solder points from quality control to fix leaks post-assembly?

It’s an OEM part from the dealership for a V6 Sienna, considering if I should take it back to the parts department.
I'm hoping I won't need another radiator until we can no longer buy gas at the pump!

Edit: Added more pics. They seemed like patched up spots with weld/solder from bad manufacturing at the factory.

1D8D50A2-268D-49D8-8F15-A32DB84AD799.jpeg

1663740973219.png

Last edited:
Anyone knows if this radiator is bad from the looks of it? Are those dark spots solder points from quality control to fix leaks post-assembly?

It’s an OEM part from the dealership for a V6 Sienna, considering if I should take it back to the parts department.
I'm hoping I won't need another radiator until we can no longer buy gas at the pump!

Edit: Added more pics. They seemed like patched up spots with weld/solder from bad manufacturing at the factory.
I got a swap with the dealership, it had more welds and patches than the first.

It looks like the company that manufacture radiators for the Sienna's quality control seem a lot worse than T.Rad that manufactures hundy radiators.

Just fyi… i believe CSF will have an all aluminum radiator for LC100 fitment soon.

Spoke to a guy at CSF and he said they should have came in last week.. he’ll check and update this week

Spoke to a guy at CSF and he said they should have came in last week.. he’ll check and update this week

Now I'm going to spend half of tomorrow bothering them...

What's the general opinion on their standard replacement radiators?

I've been planning to just order one from Toyota but a CSF is tempting at $200 cheaper.

Now I'm going to spend half of tomorrow bothering them...

What's the general opinion on their standard replacement radiators?

I've been planning to just order one from Toyota but a CSF is tempting at $200 cheaper.
And fyi, this is about the all aluminum (performance) radiator… not the standard replacement type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom