Best replacement for rear quarter window glass? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Woke up to find someone broke the rear quarter window and stole my recovery gear. Nice. Recommendations on where to get the window replaced...Safelite, dealer, does it even matter? TIA

IMG_7286.JPG

People just suck nowadays

Woke up to find someone broke the rear quarter window and stole my recovery gear. Nice. Recommendations on where to get the window replaced...Safelite, dealer, does it even matter? TIA

View attachment 2908639

I used Safelite when my Tacoma’s drivers window was shattered during a cross country road trip. Same type of situation; thieves broke into my truck overnight. Had to wait a couple of weeks for the repair, as I was adamant with the insurance company that only OEM glass be used for the replacement. Driving across windy west Texas with plastic taped over my window was fun… If you take the truck to a dealer, they’re simply going to farm out the work to an auto glass shop, or Safelite, anyway.

Not sure if you’d be opposed to going with something more secure, like Emuwing. Might be a convenient time to go that route.

76EEF4BF-DCFA-49B1-AE30-AFA3AE0EB7B0.jpeg

People just suck nowadays

Yes they do. We now live in a low trust society and it gets worse with each passing year.

Last edited:
I used Safelite when my Tacoma’s drivers window was shattered during a cross country road trip. Same type of situation; thieves broke into my truck overnight. Had to wait a couple of weeks for the repair, as I was adamant with the insurance company that only OEM glass be used for the replacement. Driving across windy west Texas with plastic taped over my window was fun… If you take the truck to a dealer, they’re simply going to farm out the work to an auto glass shop, or Safelite, anyway.

Note sure if you’d be opposed to going with something more secure, like Emuwing. Might be a convenient time to go that route.

View attachment 2908690

Yes they do. We now live in a low trust society and it gets worse with each passing year.
@JetSurfer has these - I wonder if he'd recommend them?

It looks like there is no aftermarket glass for the rear quarter, only OEM, because everyone I called said they would have to order it from a dealer. And the dealers all said they use a third party to do the install. So whether I go thru the dealer or thru third party, it seems like I end up with OEM glass and third party install...and everyone quoted pretty much the same total price. I am intrigued by the gullwings, but I have a long road trip planned next weekend and don't have time to buy, ship and install. At this point I found a dealer who can get the glass in 3 days and install it immediately so I am going to go that route.

Thanks everyone for the advice and empathy.

FWIW, a neighbor's security cam caught the incident: they drove up fast, jumped on the brakes, hopped out and broke the window in a matter of seconds. They had clearly "cased the joint" in advance. So my real takeaway here is don't leave anything visible in the car. I can't imagine they were after recovery gear...although another neighbor also has an LC200...so maybe he arranged the whole thing to get his hands on some cheap stuff :^)

sorry to hear this happened. did this happen in san carlos? I lived in that area for a number of years.

for that rear quarter glass, i think it has defrost feature. Maybe test it once the install is done?

My recovery gear was kept in a tool bag and at some point it occurred to me it could be a target, as it appeared to be something pawnable.

Just moved to a smallish Plano storage box that I keep in the back and I’m hopping it will attract a little less attention.

I really wish retrofitting the retractable cargo area cover from a Heritage Edition wasn’t so expensive..

Yes @ltsr , San Carlos. Usually a pretty low crime area, but the Sheriff said there have been a number of similar break ins over the last few days.

@bloc I had all the stuff in bags: a couple of canvas ones and a bright orange ARB recovery bag. They didn't take the firewood, so maybe I should have stored the recovery gear in an old firewood box!

Such a pain in the ass

Did they use the side window to access the the tailgate, or just take things thru the side window?

they took everything through the side window. Thankfully they didn't break the rear window...I am sure that would cost more to replace

@Norcal470 dang. I got got MLK weekend. I'm right up the road in Belmont.

They busted the rear window and dented the d pillars and liftgate trying to open it.

I used Duran's Auto Glass Duran's auto glass - Mobile Auto Glass Services, San Francisco Bay Area - https://duransautoglass.com/

Had a reco from a friend of a friend. Was reasonably priced, although NON OEM. So far so good. They came out same day I called and had the rear done in about 1.5 hrs.
duran’s auto glass did the windshield on my 4runner a few years ago. non oem, pilkington but good install. they let me sit with the tech in the workshop to make sure it was done right.

@Norcal470 dang. I got got MLK weekend. I'm right up the road in Belmont.

They busted the rear window and dented the d pillars and liftgate trying to open it.

I used Duran's Auto Glass Duran's auto glass - Mobile Auto Glass Services, San Francisco Bay Area - https://duransautoglass.com/

Had a reco from a friend of a friend. Was reasonably priced, although NON OEM. So far so good. They came out same day I called and had the rear done in about 1.5 hrs.
@elcie200 that sucks. While I was bummed to wake up to the broken window and stolen gear, I feel lucky there wasn't more damage. Total window fix and gear replacement will cost me $2k…and what do you think they will get for the stolen gear, $100 Maybe? Crazy

That is terrible. Sorry it happened to you. Do what every you can to make sure it's OEM glass. Even if it takes longer. There is a huge difference in quality.

When I lived in NYC I kept the interior a mess on purpose. To a fault. It was intentional. All my gear and tools where under the mess on top. If you looked inside you just saw piles of tarps, blankets, food wrappers, empty bottles ect a general mess of crap. Hoarder status. But no one ever broke into it. Even in the south Bronx. A trashed interior is a good deterrent. Glad I don't have to even worry about locking doors now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom