Best Replacement Dizzy for 2F (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been a bit since I have been on the forums since my build was completed, but am at the point where I am looking into some upgrades for my FJ-40. I have a hybrid ride with a 12/72 frame/body with a 1985 2F, and FJ-60 Power Steering and front discs. My old dizzy and igniter is getting tired and I was thinking of replacing it. A new DUI electronic ignition seems pretty reasonable at $359 plus plug wires. Looking for experience from some others who might have made this same change and or what others might have done.

with the late model 2f you have, the only logical choice would be an fj60 electronic dissy, nothing else would be an upgrade.

Have you used the DUI model or have you gone with something else instead?

the dui is little more than chevy hei.
the fj60 dissy is the top of the line. no matter what anyone tells you, the dissy's only job is to tell which cyl, when to fire, nothing more. the fj60 distributor was designed to work with that engine, in teh worst places in the world. it has ball bearings and is well sealed.

i had an hei, its been the only part so far that has failed, resulting in the cruiser parked on the road and me walking.

Can you get a new igniter, as that seems to struggle at times when the engine is cold, otherwise it starts right up.

@4Cruisers does a tremendous job with refurb like new on the OEM dizzy. Might wanna chat with him.

Thanks. Will look them up. As you can see it's getting tired.

Igniter-8-2020.jpg

Thanks. Will look them up. As you can see it's getting tired.

View attachment 2400604

Send it to @4Cruisers for a refurbishment. I just recently installed the OEM FJ60 dizzy that went with the '86 2F that I had rebuilt and installed in my '77 FJ40 back in 2015. Not sure why I didn't install that dizzy back then, but I think it was because I was running a TH electronic dizzy at the time.

Note, I had @4Cruisers refurbish my FJ60 dizzy earlier this year before I installed it.

IMG_6178.JPG

I put my ignitor on the coil to keep it a bit cooler. 87 2F setup. JimC rebuilt and recurved the dizzy.
70B88663-38C4-40CF-9D53-755EAC559CF6.jpeg

with the late model 2f you have, the only logical choice would be an fj60 electronic dissy, nothing else would be an upgrade.
Thanks for sharing this Brian. Could a FJ60 dizzy be used on a ‘10-12/78 2F motor that came in a FJ40 and what would be needed to put that in after removing the DUI. Currently have DUI in the ‘76. PO had installed.

I would think so.
@Honger Your FJ75 with the 3F engine currently has a 19100-61180 distributor, correct? The same one that City Racer sells:

The FJ60 distributor is fully electronic, so you'd have to use an '81 and later 2F coil and igniter. A couple more advantages - the FJ60 distributor shaft uses a sealed bearing and the cap can be vented. And because you don't have high altitude compensation you only need a single diaphragm vacuum advancer - good FJ60 dual diaphragm advancers are becoming harder to find. I have a selection of new NipponDenso advancers with various advance curves, so I could probably find a good match to the 19220-61160 advancer in your distributor. The mechanical advance curves might be different enough that you'd want to have FJ40Jim do a recurve.

Thanks for sharing this Brian. Could a FJ60 dizzy be used on a ‘10-12/78 2F motor that came in a FJ40 and what would be needed to put that in after removing the DUI. Currently have DUI in the ‘76. PO had installed.
I installed an FJ60 distributor in my '76 FJ40, along with a matching coil and igniter. I had to replace the side cover with an FJ 60 side cover to clear the distributor. I fabricated a jumper so I could mount the coil and igniter in the stock location on the passenger side inner fender (the FJ60 coil and igniter are located closer to the distributor). I also added an FJ60 filter to the firewall and installed a distributor venting system using an FJ60 VCV.

@Honger Your FJ75 with the 3F engine currently has a 19100-61180 distributor, correct? The same one that City Racer sells:

The FJ60 distributor is fully electronic, so you'd have to use an '81 and later 2F coil and igniter. A couple more advantages - the FJ60 distributor shaft uses a sealed bearing and the cap can be vented. And because you don't have high altitude compensation you only need a single diaphragm vacuum advancer - good FJ60 dual diaphragm advancers are becoming harder to find. I have a selection of new NipponDenso advancers with various advance curves, so I could probably find a good match to the 19220-61160 advancer in your distributor. The mechanical advance curves might be different enough that you'd want to have FJ40Jim do a recurve.

Yup, that's the distributor I have right now.

I'm assuming the FJ60 electronic distributor as well as the later 2F coil/ingniter would all be a matter of sourcing used parts... not available new right?

I know nothing about the fj60 dissy, nor have I used Jon’s refurbed dissy.

With that disclaimer... I wouldn’t give up my DUI for anything.

I bought it and installed it to provide a new vacuum advance canister and to provide the best performance I could get out of a Rebuilt ‘78 2F, with a Mark (@65swb45)-performance tuned oem Aisan 2bbl.I can easily cruise, or pass, at 65-70mph, with 4.11 gears and 32x10.0015R KM2s.

DUI replaces the dissy, coil and ignitor and Chevy HEI parts are compatible.

If you buy the DUI, buy their LiveWires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom