Best rear springs for AHC w/ drawers only? No plans for bumpers etc. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.joyofthedrive.com
Hi all,

I did search (honest!) but most of what I found was recommendations for springs where builds were planned with rear bumpers, swing outs etc. My only future plans include a Bravo drawer system from @TrekboxX and I'm hoping for some thoughts on how to keep a stock-like ride with the added weight. I like the cushy stock ride and the majority of the use cases will be light (2 adults, 1 (2 down the road, perhaps) kids, and possibly two (currently one) doggos on weekend trips to Vermont. No lengthy, gear-heavy camping trips unfortunately, just cushy car camping on some land. We have a Thule cargobox that collects dust most of the time, but when my wife's family is in town, the third row might get swapped in for capacity, in which case I know I assume I'll be going into "low" no matter what I do. There is occasional towing involved, perhaps more in the future with the land.

It's an '06 LC with AHC (believed to be in good health) and 190k on stock rear springs. Neutral pressures were within spec when I last checked a year ago, but I haven't checked more recently than that.

I'd prefer to stay OEM if you guys think fresh OEM springs will be up to the task of the slight added weight for another 200k miles, but if aftermarket is the best, the key is to stay as close to stock height (with added drawers) and stock ride as possible. Do I go OEM and just get airbags? OME Mediums?

Apologies if I'm beating a dead horse here, I just like to plan ahead and do WAY too much research before pulling the trigger!

-Pete

AHC is pretty robust. I would guess the 3rd row weights around 100lbs, so minus 100 pounds from your drawer weight and you'll see how much your really over stock. Do what @bamabrock said and check pressures after you get your drawers and you might not need anything. Heck, if you want to relieve some pressure, just install some 30mm rear spacers at the same time.

I have the King springs and ran them with 3rd row in and a bit of gear (maybe 100 pounds) and it’s great. No issues with 6-8 people or lots of gear—I can go to high as needed. I think best is to add the drawers and see where you end up but if you have to (or want to)get springs ahead of time Kings are a good bet as they are heavier than stock but lighter than other options.

I have the King springs and ran them with 3rd row in and a bit of gear (maybe 100 pounds) and it’s great. No issues with 6-8 people or lots of gear—I can go to high as needed. I think best is to add the drawers and see where you end up but if you have to (or want to)get springs ahead of time Kings are a good bet as they are heavier than stock but lighter than other options.

Thanks, I was looking at those. How does the ride compare to stock? I'll be at a similar weight (+100 lbs) since I lose the 100lb 3rd row but add 200 lb drawers. Is there a particular model # for the springs you got?

You can get King Springs for the LC on eBay. Believe the model number is KTRS-95. I bought a set a while back but have yet to install them.

What he said ^^^^^

if pressures are currently in spec no need to mess with it. If pressures are good and globes are good, no reason it shouldn’t keep normal height loaded with seats and inlaws and a box on top. Add the weight then see where you’re at.

If you‘re having trouble getting pressures in spec, then I’d suggest new springs. I have Kings and I’m stock (but plan to add weight), I had to add 3/4” height by AHC sensor to raise pressures back to spec. Easily done, easily reversible. If you want to stay light and close to stock then try new LX springs and add spacers if necessary.

The AHC thread has good numbers by @PADDO to predict just what modifications will net how much gain/loss in pressure. I found them to be pretty accurate.

My cheat sheet:

Front:
1 turn torsion bar: -0.2 MPa
1” added height: +2.2 MPa

Rear:
swap to King Springs: -3 MPa
1” added height: +0.6 MPa (stock springs)
210lbs additional over axle: +1 MPa (stock springs)

If you want to go by this rather than wait to see your real numbers, then check to see if you can handle an additional +1 MPa pressure in rear. If so, no worries. If you’re already sitting now at 6 MPa or above in the rear, at the top of the design range, then you might want to head it off. I’d still wait though, your front bar adjustment can help a little in the back.

Read the AHC thread about four times, it’s all in there.

Thanks guys, all helpful info. It sounds like I'll probably add drawers and see where I'm at. Honestly, if that just speeds up the time frame for new rear springs anyway, I'm not too worried about it, I just wanted to be sure I'd at least be OK on stock for a while as opposed to needing an upgrade at the same time. It sounds like it'll likely be King when the time comes but if I'm not doing many heavy loads then fresh OEMs may do the trick.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom