Best rattle can spray for wheel wells? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to recoat my wheel wells. Currently they are mostly covered with an uncoating that was sprayed on when the truck was new. Long time has passed and needs to be recoated. Want to just spray on myself (I have no paint equipment) and do it without removing the old stuff (don't know how I could ever get it all off).
If someone has a magic formula for removing the old undercoat I'd consider using a liner type material instead.

the Rust-Oleum Hammered paint turned out pretty good on mine, and has held up well.

Did you paint it over a previous coating or directly over the painted surface?

I used "rockerguard" out of a spray can. Simple to touch up and goes on thicker than paint.

D

I used "rockerguard" out of a spray can. Simple to touch up and goes on thicker than paint.

D

thanks. something available at local hw or autoparts stores? or have to find it online?

Just pick up some rubberized undercoating. It looks factory and is easy to apply. Just wash your wheel wells, let dry and spray.

I use this: Item Detail

Almost every paint supplier will have something similar.

It doesn't cost that much here locally. I get it at a local automotive paint supplier. Find one in your area, these guys are good to know.

Yeah, the rocker guard is the rubberized stuff. Should be able to get it at any automotive store.

D

OK, will pick up a can this afternoon. Thanks for the comments.

mine were pitted pretty bad from PO's lack of care. I cleaned then up with a scotchbrite scuff pad, then applied a filler primmer, then the Rust-Oleum Hammered paint. I applied a couple coats clear at then end. all in all it cost me 40 bucks and 4 or 5 hours of work (of course it was broke up accross several days as i had to let the paint dry between coats).
005.jpg

Wheels look nice. I've been using standard rustoleum black. Guess I respray them every two years since I didn't put any clear coat on them.

I had mine sandblasted to get the original finish off about 8-10 years ago. Like the black look better anyway and to me it's easier to just put another coat of paint on every couple years than to really clean them and polish them properly.

Great looking wheels, however I think the OP was refering to Wheel wells not the wheels themselves.

i missed that part, guess Old#7's avatar and i have something in common today. i guess i should have read it a little closer. oh well.

For me, Krylon Spray, I carry a can in my truck for touch ups.:cheers:
Before and after 3.jpg
tractor6.jpg

For undercoating I personally like SEM brand - it dries fully, has great bonding & has a shiney surface that doesn't attract dust. Hose out the wheelwells after playtime & looks good.

SEM is available off the shelf at the NAPA's that deal alot of paint products, all others it's same day order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom