Best radiator for 96 LX-450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Denso is cheaper on rockauto. The one I got arrived intact and bolted up fine.
38A05293-38A6-421C-8817-8FD256C84835.jpeg

Awesome. Have you been tracking your temps?
Yep, 185-190 F on highway with AC, compared to my old CSF, it will run 210F plus with AC. Pulling load up steep grade, hard to get over 195 F even if I try... with CSF, would have turn on heat and pulled over due to overheating..225 F plus... big difference when it comes to alum. Better in dissipate heat after heat soak vs copper/ brass. And I have full armor on 37s..

The TYC 1918 is becoming a very popular unit. There are over a dozen of us, that do wheel hard, that run these in the Phoenix area with great results. Significantly lower running temps in the summer that any other brand, including OEM and Koyo and solid brass units. Very affordable thru Amazon or Rock Auto. I swapped a TYC in place of what I feel was a good running Koyo 1 year old radiator to personally test the theory that the TYC will run 10 ish degrees cooler as all my wheeling buds claimed. Well, they were right. I am very happy with it. If it were to fail in the future, I will certainly buy another one.
Thank you inpot. Exactly the kind of first-hand, empirical evidence (educated opinion) I was seeking!

Is amazon a safe place to buy the TYC 1918? Apparently rockauto won't deliver to my location anymore (Denver metro, wtf?) New blue fan clutch improved my cooling, but still not quite doing the job.

That's where I got mine. I will say make sure you get one with prime, the first one they sent me had a slight bend in the core. They made it right and sent out another one the same day, and set up a return for the damaged one. When the UPS driver picked it up he was supposed to have a return sticker to send it back, but he said he forgot it in his truck. I came home the next day to the damaged radiator sitting on my porch, when I called Amazon about it they told me to keep the damaged one so I gave it to a local MUD member and he is running it without issue the last I knew.

I bought a Koyo and it leaked at the top 3 weeks after the installation. I found a good deal on a CSF and figured I would try the all metal route. It hasn’t leaked so far after a month but it doesn’t cool well. I run about 195-200 temp with the AC on Outside temp in the mid 90’s. First trip I took to the mountains it started running hot and I had to pull over to let it cool. My overflow was full so perhaps I had put too much coolant in on the install originally. Either way I think 195-200 consistent temps with the AC on with no hills is a little high. My next one will be OE and someone else can install it. Two radiators in two months sucks. I like the build quality of the CSF but the factory ran cooler and so did the leaky KOYO.

Thank you inpot. Exactly the kind of first-hand, empirical evidence (educated opinion) I was seeking!
@NLXTACY has been running one for years, credits it with saving his engine during his epic overheating period. Nothing better.

Why not just buy and run an OEM radiator?

I bought a Koyo and it leaked at the top 3 weeks after the installation. I found a good deal on a CSF and figured I would try the all metal route. It hasn’t leaked so far after a month but it doesn’t cool well. I run about 195-200 temp with the AC on Outside temp in the mid 90’s. First trip I took to the mountains it started running hot and I had to pull over to let it cool. My overflow was full so perhaps I had put too much coolant in on the install originally. Either way I think 195-200 consistent temps with the AC on with no hills is a little high. My next one will be OE and someone else can install it. Two radiators in two months sucks. I like the build quality of the CSF but the factory ran cooler and so did the leaky KOYO.
My old CSF would run 200-210 with AC on load, and it was totally unacceptable. I yanked the CSF which i had only for about 3 months and put in a Ron Davis...and the difference is night and day. Now i am at 185-190 with AC with load and never gets over 193 on hill climbs.

It's hard to go wrong with OEM. I tried the Denso. The POS leaked within days of install. Its OEM replacement fits and works perfectly. I smile every time I look at my UltraGuage.

I’m a big Ron Davis fan. Have one in my SC’d truck for about five years now I think. About to put a clear anodized one into my turbo truck.

88D32782-0ABE-4968-AD6E-8D2610253F1D.jpeg
CEC0070C-090E-473E-A725-FD2B4C3AB1EA.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom