Best radiator for 96 LX-450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Radiator replacement time. Anything better than an OEM (assuming I can find one)? Cruiser Corps all metal? KOYO?

Do a search, its been covered over and over.

Koyo/TYC...all are plastic end tanks. alum. core options for around $200
Ron Davis makes a all alum. custom for $$$

Thx. Searched before I posted. Not all have plastic end tanks. Cruiser Corps advertises "....Replace your cracked, leaky, plastic-tanked OEM radiator with this High Quality, Heavy-Duty all brass construction, aftermarket 3-core radiator." Sounds interesting...was hoping someone would have first hand experience with this $490 radiator.

Thx. Searched before I posted. Not all have plastic end tanks. Cruiser Corps advertises "....Replace your cracked, leaky, plastic-tanked OEM radiator with this High Quality, Heavy-Duty all brass construction, aftermarket 3-core radiator." Sounds interesting...was hoping someone would have first hand experience with this $490 radiator.
Just buy the OEM unit......

Search.

CSF makes a all brass/copper OE replacement option that i had really bad experience with. It was on my truck for about 3 months after my stock OE blew up @ 220k. Since, i had nothing but overheating and truck running hot. Replaced with RD aftermarket all alum. and trucks run 10-15F cooler under load with AC. FWIW....

OEM. I had a new Koyo radiator in the truck when I bought it. The previous owner had it installed by a cruiser shop after some recommendations he saw online. It never was able to keep the truck at proper temps. I swapped it out for an OEM radiator and the issue was solved. I've heard it numerous times from numerous people that the aftermarket radiators for the 80 just don't work as well as the OEM. My experience echos that.

There might be other good ones out there but the OEM is a proven.

CSF makes a all brass/copper OE replacement option that i had really bad experience with. It was on my truck for about 3 months after my stock OE blew up @ 220k. Since, i had nothing but overheating and truck running hot. Replaced with RD aftermarket all alum. and trucks run 10-15F cooler under load with AC. FWIW....
Thanks -- alot of old posts on the topic...appreciate you sharing your experience with CSF

OEM. I had a new Koyo radiator in the truck when I bought it. The previous owner had it installed by a cruiser shop after some recommendations he saw online. It never was able to keep the truck at proper temps. I swapped it out for an OEM radiator and the issue was solved. I've heard it numerous times from numerous people that the aftermarket radiators for the 80 just don't work as well as the OEM. My experience echos that.

Great - thanks for the advice! ...I've found a few OEMs available despite some posts about them being out of production

The TYC 1918 is becoming a very popular unit. There are over a dozen of us, that do wheel hard, that run these in the Phoenix area with great results. Significantly lower running temps in the summer that any other brand, including OEM and Koyo and solid brass units. Very affordable thru Amazon or Rock Auto. I swapped a TYC in place of what I feel was a good running Koyo 1 year old radiator to personally test the theory that the TYC will run 10 ish degrees cooler as all my wheeling buds claimed. Well, they were right. I am very happy with it. If it were to fail in the future, I will certainly buy another one.

@Tools R Us probably has most experience on radiator subject being that he wheels in 120 degree Arizona summers!

I had nothing but good results with Koyo aluminum radiator, however a friend had his koyo plastic top tank explode that got him stranded for 2 days in the desert until some Jeep came by and gave him a tube of jb weld to limp home.

The TYC 1918 is becoming a very popular unit. There are over a dozen of us, that do wheel hard, that run these in the Phoenix area with great results. Significantly lower running temps in the summer that any other brand, including OEM and Koyo and solid brass units. Very affordable thru Amazon or Rock Auto. I swapped a TYC in place of what I feel was a good running Koyo 1 year old radiator to personally test the theory that the TYC will run 10 ish degrees cooler as all my wheeling buds claimed. Well, they were right. I am very happy with it. If it were to fail in the future, I will certainly buy another one.

Even 10 degrees lower compared to a Koyo aluminum radiator???? 🤔

We had a Koyo in the SC'ed '93, and started to encounter coolant temp issues when that truck moved from Baton Rouge to Phoenix. On my test segment of highway northeast of Phoenix - mild but somewhat steady uphill from 1380 to 2090 feet elevation over 8.2 miles, 70mph, O/D on, cruise control engaged, A/C on, small-ish 315s, stock axle gears - temps would go to 208°F at around 100°F ambient temps. Additional fan clutch mods and water pump pulley helped, but what really made a difference was when on the Tools/inkpot advice I replaced the ~4 year old Koyo with a TYC. The truck runs this now in the 183-188°F range with ambient temps in the mid/high 90s. Haven't had the chance to run that at 110-115°F ambient when it really counts.
And we don't test w/o A/C...

Last edited:
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom