best product or method for cleaning alum rims? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just like the title says, I would like too clean up a set of brushed alum rims before I put new tires on them. Any advice as to what will work best? Thanks Albee

go to a trailer supply store (class 8 trailers) and get their aluminum cleaner.

Mine were in bad shape so I bit the bullet and had them bead blasted, then painted them. Turned out great.

Mother's aluminium polish and their red sponge ball that you use on your drill. Worked great on my sandblasted ATV rims. The only problem I found is that everytime I went to sand, I had to polish them again. So you may want to look into some kind of protector after the polish.

Jack

locrwln1 said:
Mother's aluminium polish and their red sponge ball that you use on your drill. Worked great on my sandblasted ATV rims. The only problem I found is that everytime I went to sand, I had to polish them again. So you may want to look into some kind of protector after the polish.

Jack

chip foose swears by it!!!! :D

x3 For Mothers, I used to polish aluminum brushed wheels on a 68 mustang, mothers works great and lasts quite a while too!

Rezarf <><

Muriatic acid, dilluted with water, scrub with a toothbrush. Rinse with water.

Mother's x4

I've been using that stuff in the little tub for years. Works Great. I had an 83 Suzuki GS750e with a loud Kerker Pipe...it was Alum. I could shine it up to almost Chrome!

HTH

the 3M stuff is pretty skookum.

Zoops

Any one tried Zoops? They claim it's a good sealer form oxidation and lasts a long time. A bit expensive though....

March's polish is the stuff I use. It seems to work pretty well. The cleaner is a green floride acid that eats the grim and previous wax off the aluminum. Found it works best if it is put into a spray bottle and then just sprayed on. It turns the aluminum into a Satin finish and then you apply the wax with a terry cloth to get the high gloss shine back on it. I use in on alot of the engine seen as my profile picture. Awesome stuff when used right. Here's the link:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stor...irect&categoryId=26729&parentCategoryId=10621

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom