1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best price vs best service.

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by cruiserdan, Jun 29, 2005.

1. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    So, anyway, I thought it may be interesting to solicit opinions regarding this question:

In essence, we see threads crop up regularly where the author asks "Where is the cheapest place I can find...?"

Often the net result of said question is a shouting match between "cheapskates" and those who are willing to "pay for knowledge".

Opinions, Ladies and Gentlemen?

D-

2. Josh83

Josh83

I am willing to pay *some* premium for service. As long as it is not rediculous, I don't mind paying a little more when I know good service is available along with the product. That is as much of a product as the physical product. That being said, if I know exactly what I want and know where to get it cheap, I will often do so. The great thing is, I can order parts from you and get great service AND a cheap price:D

3. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

A semi wise (aside from the patton obsession) man once said that a sale without a profit is a gift.

The reason I like to work on my own vehicles is not because I am too poor to pay some ass hat to fix them its because I enjoy it. The most frustrating thing about repairs to your vehicle is when do ot ge the correct parts in the correct time frame. Then it is all a rush and you do not have time to sit back and enjoy your time working on your rig.

Personally there is a very short list of vendors who I will deal with. I am not concerned with the price as I know they will treat me fairly. The peace of mind of knowing you do not have to worry about a bunch of s***ty parts that do not fit and not get told "Hey you will probably want one of these guys as well " Far outweighs a few bucks more spent on parts.

Then again maybe I'm wrong.

Doubt it though
    Dave

4. photogod

photogod

I tend to pay as little as I can if the job is a one banana job, ie ARB bull bar. The more difficult the job the more willing I am to pay a premium because of the service and information I am able to get from the great vendors on this board. I like to support those who are honest and willing to help with questions and I do so. Quality is high on my list as well. I like to put quality parts on my rigs so I buy Toyota parts for most things and thank you Dan? That being said a Slee rear bumper is next on my list as it is very high quality and is exactly what I am looking for over the TJM or other custom mounts. Hey Cristo is that the best price you can give me??? KIDDING, KIDDING, KIDDING.

5. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

To me the answer is "it depends". If it's a commodity or something I am very well educated in, or I feel there is no differentiator or advantage, it's price. Unless it's a question of ethics, like not shopping at Walmart b/c of their crappy business practices.

But if I need advice or put my trust in the opinion of whom I'm purchasing from, I will pay a premium. I will also pay a premium to support mom and pops if they run a good business(I try not to subsidize assholes, regardless of their status). I will also pay a premium for service, like liberal return policies. For example there is a local(maybe regional?) chain of autoparts stores affiliated with Napa called Riebes. In most cases I try to shop there, even though they aren't the most convenient, because it's a real autoparts store unlike Kragen or Autozone and I don't want them to dissappear.

t

6. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

I like dealing with people who understand my issues and know their shait. In the last year, I've bought Cruiser stuff from Cruiserdan, Slee and Mudrak. All have been great to deal with, and helpful before/after the sale with advice and info. I've also been to Luke Porter for minor fabrication issues-that dude is the Cruiserhead's metal master! All good guys!

Now, could I save 5% buying from Joe Noname? Maybe, but I wouldn't go there.

Now CDan-ya left out one other important thing. It's isn't just best price and best service, it's also the Best Product that's important. The OEM Toyota gear is usually better, and thus worth paying more to get it.

7. Rich

Rich

The most recent thread was interesting and a reminder of other threads past. Somebody mentioned two specific vendors, the price for a lift kit, and inquired for reasons to buy from the more expensive vendor. There were a couple of categories of responses. Most of the responses were focused on providing information about the vendors and or products involved. The others were more focused on jumping down the throat of the person asking the question. That I do not understand. Actually, I do understand, but do not appreciate. I think the appropriate response to share actual experiences with the vendors involved, good, bad, or indifferent.

I don't think anybody did Christo any favors by dumping on a potential customer.

8. cruiserdan

Andy added a vaviable that I overlooked. Best possible quality product. IE, one can purchase geniune Toyota parts at any dealer or genuine OME parts from a lot of places., and so on.

Keep it comming folks......

9. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    i'm totally schizophrenic on this issue. my pathological thriftiness is constantly pitted against my better judgment. when i find someone who offers service above and beyond i am fiercely loyal and will pay a premium, but usually it's a compromise. another problem I have is that if I buy stuff online to my us cabin i can often avoid the hefty 14% local sales tax when i stay long enough down there to bring it back duty free. I am buying a GPS right now. I shopped locally, got good information from a local dealer who I liked, but also did a lot of the research myself, decided on my preferred model, asked them to match the online price, and when they wouldn't I decided to buy the gps unit online ($80 saving) but buy the map disc lsoftware locally ($20 online saving passed up) because i recognize the dealer helped, and I value the dealer as a future resource. If the dealer had met me halfway on the unit price I would have bought from him, but $80 on a $250 purchase is 33% and i figured he did not give me $80 worth of advice.

10. cruiserdan

Rich, do consider that board regulars with a business relationship with a vendor such as Christo or myself may possibly be pre-disposed to pouncing on someone who poses such a question. Such clients have been "handled" in a manner whereby they have been captured by their suppliers.

11. cruiserdan

Attitude of the supplier will also come into play. For example some sellers will defend their product regardless of the evedence where others will say "you would be foolish to buy this for your current situation".

12. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Agreed. There aren't too many people I give my credit card number too, and when asked if I want the total price before you ship, I say "I trust you". Actually, there's only one.

13. Biff

Biff

I have had my Landcruiser for over a year now and with my purchase came a crash course in shopping. So many parts, so many mods AHHHHH. I instintivly gravitate to the cheapest place I could buy my parts and yet I have learned by way of many threads that supporting those that support you and your interest is a better deal. To this day I still shop for a good deal, but if its something really important I tend to call Dan, or Christo for the part.

14. semlin

semlin discouraged user

Media:
    Albums:
    dan, i agree that a vendor loses me when they oversell their product. trust is the key value added ingredient whether it is trusting the product or the person selling it. when a vendor either doesn't know what they are talking about or is willing to bend or conceal the truth, I lose that trust in them and they become just another store. without trust i may as well buy the cheapest i can get it.

15. swank60

swank60

Ifin' I'm lookin' for apples, and want only apples, I look at the price and quality together. And I'm talking plain ol' green apples, nothing fancy.

If, however, the situation is apples vs. oranges, I need the service of finding what's best for me. That's when I start paying the premium. When I get myself to knowing a vendor who gives the good apples/oranges advice, I will loose the perspective on price and become very loyal to the good advisor.

When it comes to Cruiser stuff, I trust Dan, MAF and cruiserparts.net. I called Dan a few months back about shocks and the pin thing for my horn - he knew exactly what I needed on the horn thing, and I didn't have a clue - which was great. What was really great was when he varified the build date of my 60 to make sure he got the right rear shocks (geek). On the flipside of that, the story changes from industry to industry. Take computer crap. I go to Fry's Electronics. Worst service ever, but dirt cheap, and they have EVERYTHING. When I go there, I've already done all of my research and know exactly what I need. Computer stuff is easily researched though, so that's a no-brainer. Plus, all of the other places are higher-priced, but the service is only a little friendlier, and just as unknowledgable as the a-holes at Fry's. Price wins there, but I'm doing all the work...

Make sense?

16. Josie'sLandCruiser

Josie'sLandCruiser Stop calling it a "FJ."

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi All:

Well, "CDan" - inquiring minds want to know - where the heck do you work?

Regards,

Alan
    Seattle

17. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

I agree with Swank -- for my cruisers, I go to Dan, not only because he knows everything, but it's also an enjoyable call --

-- for my electronics (my camera cost me more than two of my cruisers), I bought it from a low-coster, after I verified they had US warranty --

-- I call Dan all the time, I only called those clowns once -- they were selling a sealed box part number -- Dan sells parts and knowledge --

:D

e

18. CruisinGA

CruisinGA

Dan is the head parts man at American Toyota in Albequerque NM.

In most cases, service over cost.

This is 75% of the reason i buy tools from the Snapon man ever tuesday. I can buy the exact same thing on Ebay for less. But now I have a guy who is willing to help me out, find the right tool, fix whatever breaks etc...

Convienence has a lot to do with it. I think often convenience, service, and price are often interrelated.

19. mj1015

mj1015

I'm a cheap dude, but I will pay more to someone who is squared away and/or supports my intrestest and/or is the little guy. Normaly I will order 1 small thing from someone and see how it goes and then stick with them. Will also pay more for quality, Toyota OEM over AM for example. Have no problem buying stuff off say Ebay or pawn shop. Very few of my tools were bought new.

Special award goes to cruiserparts.net

20. Jonathan_Ferguson

Jonathan_Ferguson ★ is in the wrong locale SILVER Star