Best Price on a Steering Rack? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I took an oil sample yesterday and sent it to Blackstone. Someone put bathtub calk around the moonroof to prevent leaks. overall condition is rough. I talked with the garage that replaced inner tie rod ends and cv axles. They recommended rack replacement at that time but the owner declined. Mileage in October 2019 was 83,700. VIN: JT3HT05JXY0101459 I could only find the record of the key being made in 2008 with 58,000 on the clock. Anyone know where I could get complete history?
I'd question the 86k miles. That's extremely low for a 2000. CVs should last much longer than 86k. Mine on my 98 LX lasted nearly 200k before they needed replacing. And that was with daily driving and some seriously hard off-road miles under a lot of weight. As for the rack, mine has lasted nearly 250k. I had to replace the bushings once and have had a small leak for the past 6+ months that has been addressed with ATP205 Stop Leak.

I'd see if you can pull the complete service history because something seems a little "off".
vin: JT3HT05JXY010459 Only record I can find is 2008 and lists a key being made. Mileage 58,000. Don't know where else to look.

Last edited:
The other thing weird is the underside of the vehicle is incredibly clean. and the only rust I see underneath is on the passenger side swaybar bracket. I think the evap drain is directly above it. Almost looks like it was painted...

The other thing weird is the underside of the vehicle is incredibly clean. and the only rust I see underneath is on the passenger side swaybar bracket. I think the evap drain is directly above it. Almost looks like it was painted...
New Orleans is a difficult environment for any vehicle, but all that seems a little much. I wonder if the axels were replaced after a wreck?

New Orleans is a difficult environment for any vehicle, but all that seems a little much. I wonder if the axles were replaced after a wreck?
Carfax is clean. Axles, tie rod ends, brakes, tires all replaced in the last few months along with both front seat belts.

On a 1998 LX, I assume it uses the same rack as the LC? I don't see how there would be any difference.

On a 1998 LX, I assume it uses the same rack as the LC? I don't see how there would be any difference.

I have asked that question recently and was told they are identical externally, and IF there is any difference internally...it is negligible and that the one for the Land Cruiser WILL bolt up to the LX and perform just fine. You just pay more the Lexus one.

$475
use ThankYou50 for half off shipping

I took an oil sample yesterday and sent it to Blackstone. Someone put bathtub calk around the moonroof to prevent leaks. overall condition is rough. I talked with the garage that replaced inner tie rod ends and cv axles. They recommended rack replacement at that time but the owner declined. Mileage in October 2019 was 83,700. VIN: JT3HT05JXY0101459 I could only find the record of the key being made in 2008 with 58,000 on the clock. Anyone know where I could get complete history?

vin: JT3HT05JXY010459 Only record I can find is 2008 and lists a key being made. Mileage 58,000. Don't know where else to look.

or

Not gonna go back far enough to see what you have, but go to the applicable site, enter your VIN, and go to service history. It'll show everything that any dealership has done, and anything Inde shops or owners have uploaded. It's free. I post every single thing I do to either of my vehicles there - I have over 4 pages of service history on my IS alone.

It's also a great way to shop for rigs, since they don't verify that you own the car (screw you Porsche...).

Steering rack is 508 and 545 for lexus version at toyotapartsdeal and lexuspartsnow, so let's see if they update their pricing.
obtained this from a very trusted source:

GREAT NEWS!

Like they did last year on radiators, Toyota is becoming more price competitive many more of their OEM parts. in 2020 these items will be the same great parts but at a lower price point.

Toyota is excited to announce, effective January 1, 2020, significant price adjustment to align the following part categories to be more competitive within the market. With these price reductions, there should be an opportunity for increased parts sales across the board.

Product CategoryReduction %
Air Flow Meter-22%
Brake Caliper-44%
Throttle Body-31%
Steering Rack-30%
Starter-51%
Alternator-50%
A/C Compressor-43%
Serpentine Belts-45%
Power Steering Reservoir-25%

Your little birdie was right but maybe not for lexus parts as prixes remained the same. I took screenshots of previous prices and compared today at lexuspartsnow and toyotapartsdeal, still waiting for steering rack to change maybe only new batches?

Previous prices that i kept an eye for myself below.

2001 lx470:

-alternator 186, NOW = same price
-starter 199/235, NOW = same price
-steering rack 545, NOW = same price

2001 landcruiser

-alternator 170, NOW = 144
-starter 185/217, NOW = 116 both versions
-steering rack 508, NOW = same price

Last edited:
Looks like a steering pump rebuild is on my future. All fluid dumped on my street :(

2D3E42EE-4C65-469F-A7B4-A8E6F025CFCC.jpeg

14F1E907-50F7-4DA0-9312-F591EAC3DA1A.jpeg

Looks like a steering pump rebuild is on my future. All fluid dumped on my street :(

View attachment 2175258

View attachment 2175259

Mine has just started leaking (225K miles) and there is noticeable slack in the steering now. So mine is going to have to be done as well. IF you do yours (instead of having a mechanic do it) I'd be interested to see the process. I'm also going to look at all bushings and ball joints while I'm at it. Probably replace the axles and drive flanges, repack or replace wheel bearings and then get an alignment.

Mine has just started leaking (225K miles) and there is noticeable slack in the steering now. So mine is going to have to be done as well. IF you do yours (instead of having a mechanic do it) I'd be interested to see the process. I'm also going to look at all bushings and ball joints while I'm at it. Probably replace the axles and drive flanges, repack or replace wheel bearings and then get an alignment.

Im having the dealer knock it out. Prices are reasonable with labor and the alignment. Plus, I don’t have the time to mess with it. $2200 pill is still tough to swallow. But, at least it didn’t happen next month when I’m in Big Bend and the parts are all in stock.

For what it's worth - I used a Detroit Axle OEM Reman Steering Rack, and the intake and outlet rubber hoses to the reservoir. I also flush the fluid every 45k miles, just like transmission fluid (since it also uses ATF). Over time, those hoses goop up the ports on the hydraulic piston of the Rack and they fail unless changed just like transmission fluid- Along with using synthetic "Asian" ATF. The DA Rack costs about 240 (no core charge, send your old one back with the RMA label in the box- and get the lifetime warranty) on Amazon and if you can't do it yourself, you can always call yourmechanic (dot com) to find an ASE Certified mechanic to do that job for you for WAY less in your driveway. Just a thought.

I as well just replaced my rack with one from Detroit Axle. Don't purchase on Amazon, it is about $50 cheaper on Detroit's site. That savings pays for your whiteline bushings. We'll have to see how it holds up, if it doesn't the swap isn't too bad. I think i could pull and reinstall a new rack in under 3 hours.

Im having the dealer knock it out. Prices are reasonable with labor and the alignment. Plus, I don’t have the time to mess with it. $2200 pill is still tough to swallow. But, at least it didn’t happen next month when I’m in Big Bend and the parts are all in stock.
Is that $2200 for parts/labor just for replacing the steering rack, or are you getting the pump replaced too?

Is that $2200 for parts/labor just for replacing the steering rack, or are you getting the pump replaced too?

Rack, pump and serpentine belt with alignment including all labor and a 2 day rental car.

Did you pay a core charge on the website?

I as well just replaced my rack with one from Detroit Axle. Don't purchase on Amazon, it is about $50 cheaper on Detroit's site.

I as well just replaced my rack with one from Detroit Axle. Don't purchase on Amazon, it is about $50 cheaper on Detroit's site. That savings pays for your whiteline bushings. We'll have to see how it holds up, if it doesn't the swap isn't too bad. I think i could pull and reinstall a new rack in under 3 hours.
Hows the Steering Rack from Detroit Axle holding up? Im thinking of trying this route too... My Rack is still working ok, but leaking into both boots.
The '04 racks are around $1k for OE right now. Damn VGRS.

Has anyone been successful rebuilding their OE racks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom