BEST PRACTICE: Removing the front/rear solid axle housing completely off the FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would encourage you to go ahead and flush out all old brake fluid and replace your soft brake lines. Also replace the stock diff vent lines with ones that are located higher. I’m interested in your choice of John Deere black paint. I used an Industrial Krylon that has an excellent finish after fully stripping the axle housing to metal. As I cleaned and assembled, I learned that the Krylon didn’t hold up to brake fluid or brake clean spray. I swapped over to a grill paint for those areas affected but it’s not a texture match. I’d like to hear how the HD paint holds up to these elements.

thanks @geologic so I really would love to replace the brake lines, fluid and overhaul the brake system but I made a commitment to myself to complete this axle work first before any other project. I have a full blown 2.5 OME lift setup, HD tie rod end (TRE) kit from 555 & Whiteline sway bar for front and rear ready to go upon the re-install. Keeping on budget and performing measurable results come first. To give an idea, the grocery list for that is the oem extended brake lines (or slee) DBA rotors, pads and brake shoes in the rear which is around a $1,000 and I have $4,000 spent between tools and new parts. I also have $1,000 in new rubber to overhaul the entire cooling system. I‘ll be updating my build thread when I’m all and done.

coming back to the topic of paint, @BILT4ME mentioned first in one of my earlier posts for feedback on paint. He mentioned John Deere and after some research on that and other products, this is the best choice for me. It’s extremely tough And doesn’t break the bank, goes on easy and will serve my needs. The rep at John Deere said I don’t need to prime as that is for bare metal but I bought it anyways. The penetration oil is great, better than deep creep but that is my $0.02

4369B555-0F00-49A8-9E97-CF1277886078.jpeg

oh and I also picked this up for my front actuator (front actuator guard) when I bought my TRE kit from Marlin Crawler. I’ll get one from slee for the rear actuator when my pockets heal. Maybe consider it @geologic to protect that shiny new front actuator.

74F11A83-E387-4F2F-96F3-AA072C8DA160.jpeg

sincre you pulled your drive shafts out instead of supporting them and keeping then bolted to the t-case are you going to have them sent out for neew u-joints and balancing or just pulled them fo r working clearnace

Bump for today’s work which was 4 22mm bolts for front lower control arm and also 2 really stubborn 19mm shock tower bolts.

When i did mine I had the jack stands in the middle so i could role the axles out.

Thanks, I realized this a little too late 😞 and I’m working to correct it. Also, realized I need to have at a minimum 19-21 inches to remove the springs lol 😂 it’s all good
D4B6895A-1F99-4C8E-88AC-FD784F198DF9.jpeg

Be very careful, That axle is ready to spit out on you. You should always remove the springs first. Then unbolt the axle.

Your in a bad spot right now, your going to need to put some thought into how to move forward safely

The axle looks to be under presser now, I would at least put some ratchet straps on the axle first to secure it. Also the Reg looks to be on a sloped driveway, floor jack is going to want to move around.

Thanks @Broski for reaching out. So there are some issues I plan to rectify and will update shortly. Safety is paramount so I won’t be doing anything until I can get 4 ratchet straps to safely secure the axle before any attempt on the springs are made

Got it out and about to start degreasing and rebuilding key parts. My front locker actuator guard looks and lines up nicely.
52B600A3-3589-46FE-B575-B28C744D4CF1.jpeg
0646AE72-643D-4136-8FF8-E29E07C28FE7.jpeg
6E0B9D9F-E166-428F-B026-3C94C81E571B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom