Best portable 12V air compressor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need a new portable 12V compressor and looking at some options. Anyone had one that has held up well or got one recently they are happy with? I am looking for something that can handle airing back up 35's without too much trouble and other regular use.

This one has got a lot of compliments in the past:

Amazon.com: Q Industries MV50 SuperFlow Hi-Volume Air Compressor: Automotive

I have that one, paid about 65 bucks at pep girls. Works great for the money, does not take up lots of room, but it does get warm. about 5 min a tire airing up from 15psit to 45 psi on 33s. From what I read, I need to drop the air pressure a bit on the street.

I need a new portable 12V compressor and looking at some options. Anyone had one that has held up well or got one recently they are happy with? I am looking for something that can handle airing back up 35's without too much trouble and other regular use.

I have 2 of the comp in your link and they have been great. Not the fastest but a very good value IMO.

For the money a Puma 12volt compressor is hands down the best value if it falls in within your budget. It will do everything you want it to including powering tools.

I have the mv50. The compressor is great, the wiring not so much. I predict that soon a pic of my melted fuse holder will materialize in this thread. It's an easy fix, though.

had great luck with that one too. Surprisingly good for the $$.

Purchased two from Pep-Toys, one for my LC and one for my brothers. Both will be fed by from an auxilary fuse block which is fed from a 4 or 6 gauge wire. (i forgot the size)

I have 2 of the comp in your link and they have been great. Not the fastest but a very good value IMO.
I also have 2 and have beat them, good bang for the $.
For the money a Puma 12volt compressor is hands down the best value if it falls in within your budget. It will do everything you want it to including powering tools.
The Puma is a great pump, very happy with the upgrade. Much more capable, but also more $ than the little pumps. https://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-outdoor-gear/166969-puma-12v-compressor.html

I have the mv50. The compressor is great, the wiring not so much. I predict that soon a pic of my melted fuse holder will materialize in this thread. It's an easy fix, though.
Is this the pic you're looking for? Good carnage!
fuse.jpg

LOL, that's the one. :D What should be noted is that the 30A fuse never blew- the filament is still intact. Instead it melted the leg off. Probably a bad connection at the crimp. The connections at the motor were also ugly.

I want to get a compressor that will power my air locks and be able to air me back up when I am done off wheeling. I am new to this and trying to find a schematic that would aid me in the set up. Does anyone have a schematic for the wiring and the air lines? I checked with Slee and they no longer have the air manifold available because their supplier is no longer available. Just looking for help in the wiring to the lockers and tank. Does anyone have picture of how they mounted the tank and the compressor? I seen one post but it was mounted where my second battery resides.

... I checked with Slee and they no longer have the air manifold available because their supplier is no longer available. ...

Manifolds are relatively commonly available from auto shop tool suppliers.

... I seen one post but it was mounted where my second battery resides.

Heat is the #1 enemy of compressors, reduces efficiency and life. I wouldn't mount one under the hood, especially in AZ. It's not uncommon to see 160F under hood temps when running low speed (like when wheeling), so the compressor is all ready preheated when you start using it, greatly increasing the chance of overheating.

Where would you suggest to mount it Tools? I am trying to figure that one out and am at a loss.

I am also still trying to find a manifold

Where would you suggest to mount it Tools? I am trying to figure that one out and am at a loss.

I am also still trying to find a manifold

Mine rides in the rear cargo area, strapped down, haven't mounted it yet. It will be mounted over the right rear wheel well, to a bracket that will replace the 3rd row bracket.

Bringing this old thread back up, 10 years is a long time in this market, I'm sure there's better options now.

Need a portable compressor (12V) for a Xmas gift. Budget is $100 max. Will be used with vehicles, motorcycles, and occasionally road bicycles. Needs to be portable, will not be hard mounted, so need a bag. Looking hard at the Viair 88P. Anything else I should consider?

Bringing this old thread back up, 10 years is a long time in this market, I'm sure there's better options now.

Need a portable compressor (12V) for a Xmas gift. Budget is $100 max. Will be used with vehicles, motorcycles, and occasionally road bicycles. Needs to be portable, will not be hard mounted, so need a bag. Looking hard at the Viair 88P. Anything else I should consider?

I just picked up the VIAIR 85P for our AWD Sienna as we ditched the Bridgestone Run-Flats. It got a great reviews and was reasonably priced. I'll likely get one for my 100 as well.

My 10 year old puma is still doing well. This Christmas break, I'm hoping to install it more permanently and incorporate a version of this air up system. ARB Dual Air Compressor “The Wifey Air System”

I have seen a lot of folks ARB dual compressor as it is bit more compact and can be mounted to the second battery tray in a 100 series from Slee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom