Best Place To Buy fj55 Front Disc Brake Conversion?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My brake booster went out on my 71' fj55...
So it's time to put discs on the front...
Any recommendations for the best place to pick up a kit to do that?
Thanks

I suggest getting a used 60-series front axle assembly from Georg or CruiserParts or the like.

You can use all the 60-series stuff from the axle knuckle ball out. You can use the brake calipers as a core and buy remanned calipers from Toyota for about $100. You can even use the 60 3rd member, sell what you don't need to recoup a few bucks.

Cheers

I suggest getting a used 60-series front axle assembly from Georg or CruiserParts or the like.

You can use all the 60-series stuff from the axle knuckle ball out. You can use the brake calipers as a core and buy remanned calipers from Toyota for about $100. You can even use the 60 3rd member, sell what you don't need to recoup a few bucks.

Cheers
Ok - Thanks that might work. Yesterday I ran across JT Outfitters who has a kit that just bolts on the existing axels to converts both the front and back for $1k, supposedly it includes everything, even brake lines. It's all Chevy parts... sounds easier and cheaper... any downside to this?

I‘m using the JTO rear conversion on my ‘78 55, only because I have $450 into it counting the outrageous shipping. The supplied brake lines are too short at 4”-5”. Would require disconnecting every time pads needed changed. I think there are better alternatives out there. Look over on the 55 section, several pig owners have done this conversion.

Ok - Thanks that might work. Yesterday I ran across JT Outfitters who has a kit that just bolts on the existing axels to converts both the front and back for $1k, supposedly it includes everything, even brake lines. It's all Chevy parts... sounds easier and cheaper... any downside to this?

downside is that it discourages tearing down your 50 year old knuckles for maintenanc. If you are willing to actually willing to do axle maintenance, then there is nothing else to putting the disc on beyond grinding out the mouth of the axle to accept the larger birfs.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I don't think I will go "frankencruiser" and add Chevy parts... Considering just getting a new booster, calipers, turning drums and getting new shoes. With the drums dialed in they should lock the brakes just fine, no? It's not like I am changing over to ABS... OR are the discs worth it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom