Best phone mount? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm curious what everyone uses & recommends for mounting your phone. I currently have a Kenu Airframe+ (Kenu) in 2 other vehicles, which I love...but due to the unique dash & vent geometry of the 80 it's not such a great fit. I'm thinking the best solution might take advantage of either of the horizontal surfaces above & below the center vent. Thoughts?

$4 Direct from China off Ebay (takes 1-2 wks to arrive).
Works like a Lg Hair Clip.
Sticks to Windshield so phone is anchored in rollover, and you can make speaker call for help.

Ive been very happy with my Ram X. I purchased the surface mount, extension, ipad holder, and iPhone holder for about $40.

IMG_0024_zpseanpru1y.jpg

image4_zpsf7yeopvz.jpg

I like the one I'm using. I don't like the vent mount ones, the vents on these trucks are 20 y/o brittle plastic, easily broken.

IMG_20150828_065638979-X2.jpg

Got it off amazon for $25. The flexible part is actually an aluminum soft tube, so it is very rigid and stays exactly where you put it. You mount it under the seat bolt. It does tend to swing around a bit in off-road situations.

Amazon.com: Arkon Smartphone Seat Rail or Floor Car Truck Mount for Apple iPhone 6S 6 Plus 6S 6 5 5S Samsung Galaxy Note 5 4 Galaxy S6 S5: Cell Phones & Accessories

Wow lots of options, thanks guys!

@MoustacheMike any pics of the ProClip installed?

@aae42 I've used iOttie briefly in the past, seemed pretty solid.

@pkniland have heard Ram mounts are pretty damn good, your setup certainly looks robust. I think I may, however, be partial to a higher mount location.

Yes. It's super strong. I'd say anything smaller than an iPad mini would be fine. I have an iPhone 6 and its more than strong enough even over bumpy terrain.

Sent from my iPhone

IF you use the compass in your phone/tablet for navigation, then the powerful magnet will be a bit of an issue...

Some navigation programs use the compass to display actual heading when stationary...

cheers,
george.

It's not an issue for Google Maps or Waze (that i've experienced)

Well, google maps (static mode) uses the compass. So, if the magnet doesn't affect the internal compass at that close proximity, I'd be surprised/impressed.

cheers,
george.

I use a Ram mount attached to the dash via suction cup and stick on disc. Easy to reach and just below eye level.
Those cheap china plastic jobbies always ended up failing on me.
Spend your money once.

I use a simple GoXT mount I got from WalMart. Windshield suction mount with a solid aluminum (flexible) rod to position where you want it. Has worked well for me and it was cheap. Just personal preference but I like this positioning up high because when I use it for navigation or anything else it's in easy view and I don't need to take my eyes off the road as much as when it's down lower on the center console.

I ordered and tried one of these. After about 10 minutes of messing with it, I sent it back for a refund. It was terrible.

I am a huge fan of the ram mount stuff. I currently have a ram mount attached to this....

Panavise, In Dash, Lexus LX450 96~97, Toyota Land Cruiser 96~97

It's a very sturdy set up. I actually ended up bolting a 1" ram mount mounting ball back to back on each side of the panavise plate. I use one for phone and one for a tablet mount running my topo software.

I'm using a Ram X-mount, suctioned to a stick on disc that could be put on the dash or anywhere. The Ram X-mount is great, and has worked the same with my last 3 phones.

IMG_2059[1].JPG

This is probably my favorite mod to date. Made a small bracket that wraps around the area between the two vents. Welded a 1/4" thread nut on it to use with the ram mount hardware. Took one of the "blanks" on the dash and turned it into a usb port that connects to the back of the stereo. I used the Quad lock mount ( Adhesive Mount - Twin Pack ) and adhered it to the ram mount and my phone. Just a 45* twist and the phone comes off. This is nice as I can use all the quad mount hardware for my other activities like biking and jogging.

DSC_8309.JPG

DSC_8315.JPG

DSC_8319.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom