Best paint option for wood drawer system? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

I recently purchased a drawer system from SHWOffroad (this one to be exact: 100 Series Land Cruiser and LX470 Drawer System w/ Optional Tilting Fridge Slide — SHW OFFROAD - https://shwoffroad.com/home2/p/100-series-land-cruiser-and-lx470-drawer-system) and I'm struggling to figure out what the best solution is going to be for paint.

Originally I was thinking of using Raptor Liner, but Wes (the builder of these drawers) recommended against it as it sounds like he's had mixed results.

From what I gathered, he used Tile-Clad HS from Sherwin Williams on his and it worked well .... but the paint store doesn't have it available (paint shortage?) and even if they did, I'd be looking at over $200 for a gallon, which is the smallest amount I can get it in.

So, I thought I'd put up a thread here (searched a bit but didn't find a dedicated thread) to see what others have done and if you would do the same thing again?

Thanks in advance!
- Jeff

I made my own wooden platform and protected it with Spar Varnish. Allowed the natural beauty of the wood to shine through while affording it protection sufficient for the masts of wooden sailboats. Your platform looks like it is made with really nice quality wood — I personally would not want to cover that up with paint.

People seem happy with Monstaliner for their drawers. I prefer carpet/fabric on the horizontal surfaces... for those times you leave something back there, like a screwdriver and it just rolls noisily back and forth in every direction.

Raw wood

You might dig through this thread for finish ideas:

I covered mine in speaker carpet and stained the face of the drawers. I then sealed the drawer faces and insides with polyurethane. Drawer faces are 3/4" cabinet grade maple I had left over from a previous project.

F0C6DDB2-F3E3-4E65-BB47-D80F9A65E370.jpeg

I made my own wooden platform and protected it with Spar Varnish. Allowed the natural beauty of the wood to shine through while affording it protection sufficient for the masts of wooden sailboats. Your platform looks like it is made with really nice quality wood — I personally would not want to cover that up with paint.
I hadn't really considered varnish, but I kind of like that idea!

People seem happy with Monstaliner for their drawers. I prefer carpet/fabric on the horizontal surfaces... for those times you leave something back there, like a screwdriver and it just rolls noisily back and forth in every direction.
Good point on using carpet for a bit of sound deadening.

Minwax gunstock stain matches the late LX470 factory wood trim color well. I'm going to use it to stain the drawer faces and carpet the top.

This is what we did:

We varnished the inside of the drawers and added shelf paper. The paint is an interior paint that you'd use for bathrooms - meant to be washed down. It's seems to be holding up fine. I'm thinking of adding some kind or rubber mat to the top just so that whatever I put up there doesn't knock around when I'm flying down washboard roads.

Hey All,

I recently purchased a drawer system from SHWOffroad (this one to be exact: 100 Series Land Cruiser and LX470 Drawer System w/ Optional Tilting Fridge Slide — SHW OFFROAD - https://shwoffroad.com/home2/p/100-series-land-cruiser-and-lx470-drawer-system) and I'm struggling to figure out what the best solution is going to be for paint.

Originally I was thinking of using Raptor Liner, but Wes (the builder of these drawers) recommended against it as it sounds like he's had mixed results.

From what I gathered, he used Tile-Clad HS from Sherwin Williams on his and it worked well .... but the paint store doesn't have it available (paint shortage?) and even if they did, I'd be looking at over $200 for a gallon, which is the smallest amount I can get it in.

So, I thought I'd put up a thread here (searched a bit but didn't find a dedicated thread) to see what others have done and if you would do the same thing again?

Thanks in advance!
- Jeff
Hey All,

Thanks in advance!
- Jeff

I went with Raptor Liner. I would say it is more durable than paint/varnish, but not as durable as a commercially applied Rhino liner. It's been in the vehicle about 6 months, but I haven't taken it on any trips yet. I have attached some close up pics. The most important thing is to make sure the wood is protected from moisture on all surfaces.

DSC00041.JPG

DSC00043.JPG

DSC00047.JPG

We offer this as an alternative to the "prefinished" Baltic Birch we use as standard. It's a zero VOC oil that protects well, is easy to apply and retouch over time and doesn't stink. We used to bedline with Raptor, but much prefer the Rubio Monocoat now. We use either Black or Charcoal Ash.

Finsih options.png

That's a great looking application of Raptor liner. Nice work!

Polyurethane: Poly can look awesome when new, but if you need to refinish it in the future you have to strip it all down to get good adhesion and a uniform look. In that sense, the oil treatments can be a big advantage for something like a drawer system that you really don't want to disassemble and redo in the future.

This is super helpful, thank you!! I'll dive deeper into this option for sure! Wonder if it comes in tan?

We offer this as an alternative to the "prefinished" Baltic Birch we use as standard. It's a zero VOC oil that protects well, is easy to apply and retouch over time and doesn't stink. We used to bedline with Raptor, but much prefer the Rubio Monocoat now. We use either Black or Charcoal Ash.

View attachment 2892080

Polyurethane: Poly can look awesome when new, but if you need to refinish it in the future you have to strip it all down to get good adhesion and a uniform look. In that sense, the oil treatments can be a big advantage for something like a drawer system that you really don't want to disassemble and redo in the future.

View attachment 2892080

That may be exactly what I'm looking for. I don't wish to hide the fact that my drawers are wood but I would like them to compliment the darker grey in my interior, notably the dash. It appears as if charcoal may be the ticket.

This is super helpful, thank you!! I'll dive deeper into this option for sure! Wonder if it comes in tan?

That may be exactly what I'm looking for. I don't wish to hide the fact that my drawers are wood but I would like them to compliment the darker grey in my interior, notably the dash. It appears as if charcoal may be the ticket.
They offer a ton of colors plus 2 stage dyes so you can get just about any natural ish (plus some unnatural) shade you want. That charcoal picture I shared is much lighter than it appears on our systems when installed. Dark enough to be subdued, light enough to show wood grain if you're looking for it.

View attachment 2892080

Thanks! I like the under drawer table you have created. I also did one but nothing as nice as yours.

They offer a ton of colors plus 2 stage dyes so you can get just about any natural ish (plus some unnatural) shade you want. That charcoal picture I shared is much lighter than it appears on our systems when installed. Dark enough to be subdued, light enough to show wood grain if you're looking for it.
Thanks again for this info! After looking into it a bit more, I'm leaning towards going in this direction. Do you happen to have a picture of an assembled and installed system with the charcoal color in a tan interior? Curious to see how it looks with the tan interior panels!

Exterior house paint for the faces and (factory color matched) carpet up top for the pooch!
View attachment 2892282
Where did you get the factory matched carpet? It looks perfect.

I'm torn between a stain because it looks great or carpet for durability. Right now i'm leaning towards carpet on top and stain the fronts for the nice wood look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom