Best OZ and NZ Regions for Diesel Cruisers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, so I am taking a 3-week "vacation" to both NZ and OZ in October. I have never been. I'd like to bring back another cruiser, as my BJ42 gets lonely. With that information as a background...

1) Are there any areas (regions, cities, etc.) of either country that have a reputation for best selection of trucks (either troopy or ute, up to 1985 model year)?

2) Am I going to kill myself going from driving on the right (US) vs. left (NZ/OZ)?

3) Suggestions on what cities/regions are exceptionally awesome and on the "must see" list

Thanks! :beer:

Last edited:
There are some really good vehicles getting around, but a lot are from inland areas like farms, where they don't rust so bad, but they'll be mechanically tired. I find a good way to find vehicles is to go to clearing sales/farm auctions. But that might be a bit hard to do on holiday. In the mean time, have a look on www.carsales.com.au

Oh, nothing wrong with RHD and driving on the left hand side of the road, it's just right.;p

Don't know about where to find the cleanest vehicles. But as far as driving on the other side, you'll quickly get used to it. When I came home after 2 months in NZ and OZ, I had to readjust to our side and kept hitting the wipers every time I wanted to make a turn.

Getting flights soon, likely to hit: Auckland, Christchurch, Brisbane and Sydney...

I've just driven 1500km over the last 2 days and only spotted one 40-series in my travels (whereapon I flashed my lights wildly).

Why not check out the ones for sale on www.trademe.co.nz before arrving in NZ? Then if you find one that takes your fancy ..... perhaps you could arrange to take a look (if it doesn't mess up your itinerary too much).

And 3wks is definitely too short. You might as well just do/visit whatever your travel agent suggests (or whatever other tourists normally do).

Besides...Activities that interest the yokels may not necessarily interest someone from California. Cripes you probably want to see a sheep get shorn! :D

I've just driven 1500km over the last 2 days and only spotted one 40-series in my travels (whereapon I flashed my lights wildly).

Was he speeding? :D

Gringo, bring back an LC200.:cheers:

Activities that interest the yokels may not necessarily interest someone from California. Cripes you probably want to see a sheep get shorn! :D

... or take a ride on your route! I may just tag along to bother you with excessive math and theory. Just think, we could try to estimate our speed from the blue-shift of the traffic lights, or the weight of the bus from the natural frequency of the suspension!!! :D

And of course we'll have to discuss the proper location of the diesel badge...

Last edited:
How the previous owner(s) have cared for and used the vehicle have the most impact on condition. Sure being near the ocean doesn't help, but a well-cared for cruiser will show it no matter where it lives...

How the previous owner(s) have cared for and used the vehicle have the most impact on condition. Sure being near the ocean doesn't help, but a well-cared for cruiser will show it no matter where it lives...

All the 40's I knew growing up were either farm trucks or hunting/4wd trip wagons.
Very few were "well looked after". We do have 6 monthly safety inspections, but this just means the brakes, steering, suspension and lights all worked on the day the sticker was issued. Panel, paint, interior etc could all be as rough as they liked.

I'll second that. Create a short list before you fly over, and then check those ones out.

I live about 500km from the coast, and most of the cruisers here have rust. And some don't.
As 1tonboy says, if it was well cared for, garaged and washed and oiled, it'll be in good shape.

That 47 has been advertised for ages, given how much work has been put into it, I have NFI why it still has the 4 speed.:confused:

G'day BJ42Gringo,

We don't need to salt our roads....so we don't have regions in Australia, like the US where vehicles are almost certainly going to have rust Having said that, the Queenslanders enjoy a bit of beach fishing and most vehicles from the Northern Territory and the Western Australia seem to have been flogged like a red-headed step child.

I would stick to Melbourne or Sydney. Being our major cities it should mean that you can look at more vehicles and cover less kilometres that in the other states.

Cheers,

Ben

P.S. If in Melbourne take in a game of Aussie rules football. Melbournians also make the best coffee in the country. Sydney unfortunately is a city full of un-cultured heathens with no appreciation of either football or the brown bean. The Australian Bureau of Statistics has also shown a higher rate of Nissan and Jeep ownership per capita in Sydney than in Melbourne. Need I say more.

Sydney unfortunately is a city full of un-cultured heathens with no appreciation of either football or the brown bean. The Australian Bureau of Statistics has also shown a higher rate of Nissan and Jeep ownership per capita in Sydney than in Melbourne. Need I say more.

That's a great show of spirit! Good on ya!

Rick

South Australia has pretty decent rigs, and Victoria has good ones as well. Much of the '4 wheeling' here is done on the beach, so watch out for salt damage. Much of the rust here also comes from the top as well as the bottom.

As far as places to see in Oz: Tasmania is my favorite. In NZ, Christchurch is amazing. Be VERY careful driving here, as the speed limits are stupidly slow, and there are cameras EVERYWHERE watching your every move. You will get a ticket for going just a mile or two over the limit.

I've lived in a number of countries, and I can tell you that Aussies are amoungst the worst drivers. They are very absent-minded and lack awareness of other drivers. I think it comes from driving everywhere at walking speed. Just pay attention to others here, drive like you are 85 years old and you will be alright.

My uncle came to visit for 3 weeks, and when he got back to NM he had nearly $1200 in photo fines from Australia to remember his trip by. This was in addition to the $78 ticket he got for riding a bicycle in front of our house without a helmet.

Also remember that cops here can breath test you at random at any time, and the BAC level is only .05.

Drop me a PM if you make it to Adelaide.

Regards,

Josh

Last edited:
OK, ticket booked... had to compromise between relaxation and cruiser plundering. If it looks promising, I'll head back on a 100% cruiser-hunt itinerary.

Oct 7 San Francisco to Sydney

Oct 13 Sydney to Cairns

Oct 18 Cairns to Auckland

Oct 29 Auckland to San Francisco

Discuss.

A little thread revival is good for the soul. Leaving in t-minus 48hours.

Unlocked GSM phone with with Aussie phone number....check
Shipping contacts....check
Plenty of $$$ to grab a few nice trucks....check
Place to stay the first few nights in Sydney....check

If any of you guys are in Sydney, Cairns, Auckland (probably going to South island too, but unknown as to where at this point) and see or know of clean HJ47 troopies or utes - please let me know. I have a line on a few, so I'll have to make some decisions. Also, if anyone wants to grab beers, that can be arranged.

I'll keep you guys posted...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom