Best option for early 60 steering boxes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going through the top end of my engine now and since I'm there, its time to finally fix the ps on this truck- its never had it while ive owned it. I found a 40$ used steering pump to replace the seized one, but now I've noticed my steering box is definitely leaky too and there's a lot of play in the steering wheel. It looks like the early steering box with no offset to the bolts, so a 80 series box isn't an option. I'm happy to buy some new tools and a rebuild kit, or send it off to west texas offroad, but is there any better options to swap it with? If I'm getting in this deep I'd like to fix it the right way at least.

I'm planning on doing the Saginaw PS swap now, if that's any help.

Thanks!
thumbnail_IMG_2331.jpg

I haven’t seen any options for an early 60 power steering gear box except rebuilding it. I sent mine to W TX Offroad.

you have a 35 year old box, from the sounds of it, it had a hard life before you bought the rig.
unless you are a serious rock crawler, just get the stock one rebuilt by a reputable company and see what it is like when it is working as designed.

That's about what I expected. I don't crawl and my offroading is just enough to get to new camping spots, this is more of an overlanding rig. Box will get rebuilt it sounds like, I have a spare laying around that I may send out first. Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom